"First English Speaking Community in the West" Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver by glabah
Vancouver Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 137 photos
Fort Vancouver was constructed by the Hudson's Bay Company as part of their effort to obtain furs (mostly beaver, but many other animals were trapped as well) for the contemporary styles of Europe.
By the 1830s they had launched the first steam boat on the Columbia and Willamette River system - and one of the first steam boats to touch the Pacific Ocean.
100 years later, the same land was being used as part of pioneering aviation history.
Today, the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site is the primary tourist draw to Vancouver, Washington. This includes the reconstructed fort (the original burned after the British left), the old US Army buildings in the area, and the Pearson Air Museum all on the same national historic site.
The site remains under continued scientific investigation, as artifacts are continually dug up and analyzed. The preservation process may be watched through one of the windows of one of the buildings at the fort.
Growing up in Oregon City, the OC school system occasionally took us to Fort Vancouver as part of various history lessions. However, some of my more recent photos from 2007 are here for you to see.
Vancouver is an actively growing suburb of Portland, with a number of restaurants and a fairly active convention center. Downtown Vancouver is undergoing rebuilding, and a new Waterfront Trail leads along the Columbia River waterfront between restaurants and condominiums and the river. A Red Lion hotel sits right at the western end of this trail, and has a wonderful view of the river (I've attended events in the dining hall there, but never spent the night).
Vancouver also has some extremely nice parks, should your children need some time out of the car. Vancouver Lake Park and Frenchman's Bar Park are located on what was once intended to be a main highway, but wound up being turned into an end. Due to the proximity of a large wildlife refuge, your chances of seeing interesting bird life here is reasonably good, with bald eagles showing up occasionally.
If you are a rail fan, the Vancouver yard is quite busy, and visible from local roads.
Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area - including many trails and some resorts
Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument
Portland, Oregon - home of a number of items including opera and stage events, hiking in local parks, artists events, and several museums.
- Pros:Smaller community, some items cheaper than Portland
- Cons:Smaller community, less attractions than Portland
- In a nutshell:Good for Travelers that like what is here (Fort, Trail, Parks) but little else here.
As part of the national park system, this area of Vancouver was set aside due to the significant historical role it... more travel advice
On the maps and documents of Vancouver, you will find this place officially referred to as "Stewart Glen Burnt Bridge... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Vancouver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "First English Speaking Community in the West"
- "astier's Vancouver Page"
- "Vancouver, Washington"
- "The first Vancouver ~ in Washington, the state"
- "Vancouver and Mt. St. Helens"
- "oneonta_ni's new Vancouver page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vancouver
- Hotels in Vancouver
- Transportation in Vancouver
- Nightlife in Vancouver
- Restaurants in Vancouver
- Shopping in Vancouver
- Warnings and Dangers in Vancouver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vancouver
- 17 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Vancouver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vancouver
- Posted in Travel Honolulu Forum "Re: Phone Rental"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fort Vancouver National Historic Site"
- Commented on one of glabah's Vancouver tips
- updated a Vancouver Travel Page "First English Speaking Community in the West"
- Wrote a Review Fort Vancouver National Historic Site in Vancouver Things to Do
Photos in VancouverSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 159 reviews, 786 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 336 photos, 29 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (44)
Latest Vancouver hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Salmon Creek
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- The Heathman Lodge
- 416 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Shilo Inn & Suites - Hazel Dell/Vancouver
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Guest House Motel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 25, 2013
- Extended StayAmerica Vancouver
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013