"Oldest Incorporated City in Washington" Steilacoom by glabah
Steilacoom Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 23 photos
Above: The Anderson Island ferry arriving at Steilacoom. This is the only connection this island has to the outside world. A ferry from Steilacoom also serves as the link from Ketron Island to the outside world as well.
While it is a growing suburban community and a beautiful location, the most notable thing about Steilacoom is that it is the oldest incorporated city in the state of Washington. It was established as a functioning city in 1854, and shows no signs of ending its long running reign as Washington's oldest city.
However, Lakewood, Tacoma, University Place and DuPont are all rapidly expanding suburbs so that except for some of the land owned by nearby Fort Lewis the whole area has become one unified mass of mass produced housing developments and parking lots, with Steilacoom being one of the few locations in this area that has any unique personality remaining.
A number of the older buildings have been preserved, but quite a number of them have not been preserved and are now replaced with much more modern residential and commercial buildings.
There is a small museum, several parks with views of Puget Sound, and several small restaurants. Beyond that, there really isn't too much to this small community.
Of the parks in the area, by far the largest and most visited is the Chambers Bay Properties in nearby University Park, but as all of these smaller communities are part of the larger metropolitan Tacoma area, I have put information about that park in my Tacoma information.
- Pros:Nice views of Puget Sound. Small community.
- Cons:Lots of through traffic on several busy roads through the middle of downtown mean there is a lot more traffic noise and difficulty of getting around than there should be. Not a huge amount of activities available.
About the Photo: The huge size of the Chambers Bay Park and Property is hard to show in a single photo. The two walkers... more travel advice
Located just north of downtown Steilacoom, this park provides a popular picnic location right on the edge of Puget... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Steilacoom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunsets from Chambers Bay Park"
- "falicia2000's new Steilacoom Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Steilacoom
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Steilacoom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Steilacoom
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Detroit to Vegas"
- Wrote a Review Chambers Bay: Vast Park formerly Industrial Area in Steilacoom Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Chambers Bay: Vast Park formerly Industrial Area"
- updated a Steilacoom Travel Page "Oldest Incorporated City in Washington"
Photos in SteilacoomSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 162 reviews, 791 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 368 photos, 33 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue