"Seattle's Old Money Neighborhood" Queen Anne by glabah
Queen Anne Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 53 photos
While in recent decades Queen Anne can no longer compete with such places as Vashion Island or Bainbridge Island for having a reputation for housing Seattle's most wealthy residents, this neighborhood just north of Seattle has a reputation going back over 120 years for being the place to live in Seattle - if you had enough money.
And the reason should be fairly clear. How can one not awake with a passion with a view like this every morning? Well, OK, so maybe the view isn't very good from street level, but that is Mount Rainier in the background, just above the house tops. If the view were taken at window height on the house, you could see downtown Seattle and Elliott Bay in the forground.
(OK, a view like this every morning, on those days when the weather is clear!)
But, while Queen Anne has a reputation for being a place for the wealthy, the fact is a significant number of wonderful views are available to the general public. This is the home of Seattle's famous Kerry Park, for example. This is a place for the elite, but it predates the concept of the "gated community" where the streets themselves are closed to the public.
Due to the hill upon which it sits, lesser known places with beautiful views abound in Queen Anne. Walking around the community around Kerry Park will lead you to such places as the Betty Bowen Viewpoint and Kinnear Park. Just a walk down some streets, such as 8th Place West, provide spectacular views as well.
- Pros:Home of one of Seattle's Must See Attractions - Kerry Park. Good transit service.
- Cons:You have to have a lot of money to live here. Steep hills mean walking isn't easy.
- In a nutshell:While it is mostly residential land on the high price range, there are some things here that should not be missed - Kerry Park being the foremost of them.
I came to this hill top cemetery thinking that perhaps there would be some good views of Seattle and surrounding areas... more travel advice
Unfortunately, this park is not anywhere as significant as it could be, and therefore I really don't recommend taking... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Queen Anne Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Queen Anne
- 9 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (289)
Have you been to Queen Anne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Queen Anne
Photos in Queen AnneSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 771 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 736 photos, 77 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 50 reviews, 224 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues