"Small Town South of Bremerton with Artworks" Port Orchard by glabah
Port Orchard Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 68 photos
On a clear day, the small town of Port Orchard offers views of the Olympic Mountains and a few of the Cascades peaks.
The waters are mostly quiet, but the dominant view offered is of the sprawling US Navy Yard across Sinclair Inlet in Bremerton. There are great views of the Olympic Mountains, and otherwise the area is quite scenic, but it is really hard not to miss the aircraft carriers and other ships at the huge complex on Sinclair Inlet. (Note the Bald Eagle in the forground in this photo: thanks to efforts to clean up the industrial contamination, wildlife can be found here again.)
The town offers only a very few activities that would be of interest to tourists, and even those are very off the beaten path attractions that are unlikely to be of huge interest to a large number of people.
It is possible that you will see Bald Eagles in the area, as they fish in Sinclair Inlet and nest in the trees on the nearby hills. However, it is a rapidly growing suburban community of Seattle, and it is possible that many of the trees and other natural features that make the area so attractive to the human eye and to the wildlife that also lives here will soon be gone.
In the past, Port Orchard had its history of crafts, including a brewery (think local craft brew!) and ceramics. The big ceramics plant burned some decades ago, and the brewery relocated and has apparently been subjected to several layers of takeovers, so that the company doesn't even exist any more.
However, Port Orchard lives on, and there are efforts to bring back local art work and craft to this small city.
Murals, similar to the one shown here, were actually started in the early 1900's, but many of the original ones are gone. There is an effort to bring mural painting back to the city, however. Thus, you can find several buildings with murals, and there are plans and efforts to add more as time goes on.
The ceramics tradition lives on to a very limited extent, as shown by The Bells by Salamander Pottery.
Artworks by local artists are available at the Sidney Gallery and Manchester Art Gallery, which are located right downtown within a very short walk of the ferry pier.
One local artist has become quite famous in his field of Bonsai Trees, and you can see his work at Elandan Gardens, which is some distance west of town. Among other things, bald eagles regularly visit the trees of the gardens there. It is an artwork that not all can appreciate, but for those who know bonsai this is garden has become reasonably famous.
However, the local artists that almost anyone can appreciate are the locally produced works by Carter's Chocolates. While they are not an easy walk from downtown, there is at least a bus service that runs between downtown Port Orchard and the suburban shopping mall where you can watch their very tasty works of art being created. Among other places, these chocolates are also available at the Lighthouse Restaurant, which IS an easy walk within downtown Port Orchard.
While this is a chain restaurant, it is also true that it is one of the lesser known Mexican chains in the region and... more travel advice
Westward from the Ferry Pier you will find that there is a very attractive park (especially in the spring when the... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Port Orchard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Small Town South of Bremerton with Artworks"
- "Small town living"
- "I live here and I love it!"
- "Port Orchard"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Orchard
- Transportation in Port Orchard
- Nightlife in Port Orchard
- Restaurants in Port Orchard
- Shopping in Port Orchard
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Orchard
- 18 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (285)
Have you been to Port Orchard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Orchard
Photos in Port OrchardSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 165 reviews, 768 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 720 photos, 75 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 46 reviews, 207 photos, 5 travelogues