"Small, Quiet Salt Water Recreation Area" Penrose Point State Park by glabah
Penrose Point State Park Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 57 photos
NOTE: As of July 1, 2011, a day use fee has been implemented at many Washington State parks. This fee is $10 per day, or a $30 fee for a year pass. There is a $5 fee in addition to the annual pass fee if purchased at one of the many resellers. Please see my Discover Pass tip for a little more about this. For a bit more about Washington State parks in general, please see my Washington State Parks tip.
Located about halfway along the Key Peninsula, this small state park provides camping facilities and beach access.
Day recreation activities include hiking trails through the forest that lead to somewhat out of the way places along the beaches, a number of picnic facilities (including two that have shelters), and of course the beaches themselves.
Boat facilities here include overnight "boat camping" facilities as well as a single camping space for "hand carry" water craft. There is a marina directly across Mayo Cove.
Puget Sound is quite a maze of inlets, bays and passages between and around the various islands and peninsulas. Carr Inlet is a piece of this maze that sticks up from Puget Sound west of Tacoma and creates space and separates the Key Peninsula from Fox Island and the city of Tacoma.
The result is that Penrose Point State Park is in a location that is somewhat out of the way, as the Key Peninsula is somewhat off the beaten path.
A detailed map of the state park shows the various beaches that nearly surround the entire park, as well as the trail system (some 2.5 miles - 4.1 km) and the camping facilities.
If you are interested in crabbing, clamming or oyster hunting, you will want to check the seasons that this is allowed at this state park.
An assortment of local tourist information is available at the booth in the campground. This includes various... more travel advice
Typically, when people think of camping in a recreational vehicle, they think of a trailer or motorized vehicle or some... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Penrose Point State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Small, Quiet Salt Water Recreation Area"
- Create a Penrose Point State Park Travel Page
- Things to Do in Penrose Point State Park
- Hotels in Penrose Point State Park
- Transportation in Penrose Point State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penrose Point State Park
- 11 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Penrose Point State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penrose Point State Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Local festivals and attractions"
- updated a Penrose Point State Park Travel Page "Small, Quiet Salt Water Recreation Area"
- Wrote a Review Assorted Tourist Information available in Penrose Point State Park Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Assorted Tourist Information available"
- Uploaded a Video to Penrose Point State Park
Photos in Penrose Point State ParkSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 171 reviews, 881 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 160 reviews, 670 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 28 reviews, 522 photos, 51 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 241 photos, 20 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 6 travelogues