"Visible from Seattle, Yet Whole Different World" Mount Rainier National Park by glabah
Mount Rainier National Park Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 633 photos
The national park containing the mountain is of course one of the popular attractions in the Seattle area. There isn't too much beyond what is currently written by various other VirtualTourist members that I will be able to add, but I hope that some of what I write will be found useful.
I am throwing in this photo because once you are inside Mount Rainier National Park, the mountain actually seems much smaller than it is. Somehow, through a trick of perspective, standing near the base makes the mountain seem not that much higher than the surrounding 5,000 and 6,000 foot tall peaks surrounding it.
This photo, taken from north of downtown Seattle and some 60 miles (100 km) distant from the summit of the mountain, should dispel that notion. At 14,411 feet (4,392 meters) it can dominate the Seattle skyline even at this distance. It is somewhat more than 3,000 feet taller than Mount Hood, the highest point in Oregon. The photo at the top of this page was taken near Sunrise (the ridge of that name), and the mountain really doesn't look that big there. Here, you can clearly see that while Sunrise may be at 6,000 feet, the top of the mountain completely dwarfs it.
- Pros:A amazing location preserving the best of what was once in the Cascade mountains. Photos can never do the place justice.
- Cons:Lots of traffic and traffic jams. Sometimes all parking places occupied. Drivers going well over the speed limit create unpleasant noise and frequently hazardous road conditions due to blind curves.
- In a nutshell:Cameras can never do the place justice, but current auto traffic conditions during busy days mar the experience.
Paradise Road joins the main road through the southern edge of the park in Stevens Canyon and a place near Narada Falls... more travel advice
The primary museum that shows the history of Mount Rainier National Park at Longmire is in one building, but the... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Mount Rainier National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perfect Everday in its own Special Way:Mt. Rainier"
- "Basaic Mount Rainier National Park Page"
- "WASHINGTON'S MASSIVE GLACIATED GLORY"
- "Mt. Rainier National Park"
- "Mount Rainier National Park"
- "Drive thru Mt Ranier"
- "Welcome to Mount Rainer National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Rainier National Park
- Hotels in Mount Rainier National Park
- Transportation in Mount Rainier National Park
- Nightlife in Mount Rainier National Park
- Restaurants in Mount Rainier National Park
- Shopping in Mount Rainier National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Rainier National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Rainier National Park
- 24 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (257)
Have you been to Mount Rainier National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Rainier National Park
- Posted in Travel San Juan Islands Forum "Re: Luggage Storage"
- Wrote a Review Inspiration Point (Stevens Canyon Road) in Mount Rainier National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Inspiration Point (Stevens Canyon Road)"
- updated a Mount Rainier National Park Travel Page "Visible from Seattle, Yet Whole Different World"
Photos in Mount Rainier National ParkSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 174 reviews, 887 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 161 reviews, 675 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 581 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 88 reviews, 386 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 53 reviews, 197 photos, 4 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 193 photos, 6 travelogues