"Some Preserved Forest but Close to City Population" Millersylvania State Park by glabah
Millersylvania State Park Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 19 photos
NOTE: As of July 1, 2011, a day use fee has been implemented at many Washington State parks. This fee is $10 per day, or a $30 fee for a year pass. There is a $5 fee in addition to the annual pass fee if purchased at one of the many resellers. Please see my Discover Pass tip for a little more about this. For a bit more about Washington State parks in general, please see my Washington State Parks tip.
Areas along Interstate 5 in this part of Washington are in heavy transition. Mixtures of farmland, forest suburban housing and growing urban pains are all close by, with farmland and forest giving way to the suburban sprawl and urban growth.
Millersylvania State Park preserves a certain amount of this forest land as well as containing part of Deep Lake. Evidence of the past in the park is evident in the large stumps where notches were cut, allowing loggers to fell the huge trees which were otherwise impossible to work with using the equipment of the era.
Urban expansion has now caught up with Millersylvania State Park, and suburban Olympia, Lacy and Tumwater grow ever closer to the park. The growing nearby population also means that the park has ever increasing patronage, and thus on busy weekends it is hard to remember sometimes that this is a slice of what was, not so very long ago, a fairly rural area with far fewer visitors.
- Pros:Many Trails through the Forest, many of them in good condition. Boat rental available right in the park. Very good picnic facilities available including shelters with kitchens.
- Cons:Close to urban populations and therefore quite crowded, especially on good weekends. No real huge spectacular attractions.
- In a nutshell:Good place for local recreation, and may be of some interest to those traveling Interstate 5 and wanting an extended rest.
Most parks have some sort of picnic facilities, even if it is something as simple as a few scattered picnic... more travel advice
I did not stay in this guest house, but the information has been put here for the information of others. NOTE: A two... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Millersylvania State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Some Preserved Forest but Close to City Population"
- Create a Millersylvania State Park Travel Page
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Millersylvania State Park
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Millersylvania State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Millersylvania State Park
Photos in Millersylvania State ParkSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 159 reviews, 786 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 336 photos, 29 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos