"Mixture of Old Seattle Residences and New Wealth" Magnolia Bluff by glabah
Magnolia Bluff Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 196 photos
Above is a view of the Magnolia area of Seattle, as seen from the Columbia Center Skyview observation deck. The area today known simply as Magnolia is divided into "West Magnolia", "Magnolia Bluff" and a few other even more localized districts on some maps.
There are a few very local points of interest in Magnolia that are not of sufficient interest to put into the general Seattle category, and I have therefore entered those here.
By far the most interesting item for tourists in the area is Discovery Park, but that is of such significance that I have put that under the Seattle category. Inside that park there are a number of attractions worthy of mention in and of themselves, such as the Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center, and the West Point Light House.
Magnolia is also the home of a few small parks of minor interest, but if you are in the area then perhaps some of them are worthy of a visit.
As Magnolia sits on a hill above Puget Sound, there are some good views of Seattle and the surrounding area to be found here. Several of these have been preserved as city parks, and by far the best of those is Ella Bailey Park, though the Magnolia Bridge also has some great views.
Smith Cove Park looks like a bunch of athletic fields crammed under the Magnolia Bridge, but there is a small piece of the park that sits on the edge of Elliott Bay, and provides picnic tables and benches with a view. Right next to this park is Elliott Bay Marina, which also has a good view of the Bay.
One of the great features of this part of Seattle is the Terminal 91 Bike Path, which connects 20th Avenue West and 21st Avenue West to Elliott Bay Park and Myrtle Edwards Park and eventually ends at Alaska Way at the Olympic Sculpture Park. This makes it possible to walk or bike from Magnolia to downtown Seattle with only one mildly annoying road crossing.
I've done exactly that: I walked from Magnolia to downtown Seattle in only 45 minutes, thanks to not having to fight traffic anywhere. The only thing you have to be careful of are the bikes, as they move very fast on this narrow pathway.
- Pros:close to downtown Seattle, good views, no real busy through streets.
- Cons:Not a real tourist destination. Most of the best views owned by expensive houses.
Yes, this is yet another member of the Anthony's chain. Like most of the others in the Anthony's chain, it has a good... more travel advice
At the very top of the hill on which Magnolia sits you will find a water tower - which really isn't too surprising. The... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Magnolia Bluff Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Magnolia Bluff
- Transportation in Magnolia Bluff
- Restaurants in Magnolia Bluff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Magnolia Bluff
- 40 Reviews
- 195 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (289)
Have you been to Magnolia Bluff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Magnolia Bluff
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: White Pall train tour in..."
- updated a Magnolia Bluff Travel Page "Mixture of Old Seattle Residences and New Wealth"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Popular Place in the Summer with Water View"
- Wrote a Review Popular Place in the Summer with Water View in Magnolia Bluff Restaurants
Photos in Magnolia BluffSee All Photos (195)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 771 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 728 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 50 reviews, 224 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues