"Mixture of Old Seattle Residences and New Wealth" Magnolia Bluff by glabah
Magnolia Bluff Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 175 photos
Above is a view of the Magnolia area of Seattle, as seen from the Columbia Center Skyview observation deck. The area today known simply as Magnolia is divided into "West Magnolia", "Magnolia Bluff" and a few other even more localized districts on some maps.
There are a few very local points of interest in Magnolia that are not of sufficient interest to put into the general Seattle category, and I have therefore entered those here.
By far the most interesting item for tourists in the area is Discovery Park, but that is of such significance that I have put that under the Seattle category. Inside that park there are a number of attractions worthy of mention in and of themselves, such as the Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center, and the West Point Light House.
Magnolia is also the home of a few small parks of minor interest, but if you are in the area then perhaps some of them are worthy of a visit.
As Magnolia sits on a hill above Puget Sound, there are some good views of Seattle and the surrounding area to be found here. Several of these have been preserved as city parks, and by far the best of those is Ella Bailey Park, though the Magnolia Bridge also has some great views.
Smith Cove Park looks like a bunch of athletic fields crammed under the Magnolia Bridge, but there is a small piece of the park that sits on the edge of Elliott Bay, and provides picnic tables and benches with a view. Right next to this park is Elliott Bay Marina, which also has a good view of the Bay.
One of the great features of this part of Seattle is the Terminal 91 Bike Path, which connects 20th Avenue West and 21st Avenue West to Elliott Bay Park and Myrtle Edwards Park and eventually ends at Alaska Way at the Olympic Sculpture Park. This makes it possible to walk or bike from Magnolia to downtown Seattle with only one mildly annoying road crossing.
I've done exactly that: I walked from Magnolia to downtown Seattle in only 45 minutes, thanks to not having to fight traffic anywhere. The only thing you have to be careful of are the bikes, as they move very fast on this narrow pathway.
- Pros:close to downtown Seattle, good views, no real busy through streets.
- Cons:Not a real tourist destination. Most of the best views owned by expensive houses.
While there has been a recent (2010 or so) incident of a cougar finding its way into Discovery Park and living there for... more travel advice
This large sculpture is very modern, and yet also an attractive part of the southern entrance to Magnolia Playfield /... more travel advice
Written Feb 2, 2012
Cockpit Meets Cab
Written Aug 21, 2012
Photos from Discovery Park & Etc, August of 2012
Written Oct 14, 2013
Various Odds and Ends around Magnolia and Interbay
Written Feb 13, 2014
Bird Life along North Beach, 3 Dec 2012
glabah's Related Pages
Magnolia Bluff Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Magnolia Bluff
- Transportation in Magnolia Bluff
- Restaurants in Magnolia Bluff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Magnolia Bluff
- 39 Reviews
- 174 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Magnolia Bluff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Magnolia Bluff
Photos in Magnolia BluffSee All Photos (174)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 161 reviews, 790 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 352 photos, 31 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue