"Small Town dominated by Ferry Staging Area" Kingston by glabah
Kingston Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 35 photos
Kingston is a pleasant little town that, like so many others along Puget Sound, was formed in the days when the only way to get around was by boat. From time to time small industries have appeared here, but always the reason for this town to exist has had something to do with boats and ships and the water.
Today, the boat still dominates Kingston, though in a very different way: the huge paved area that sits in the middle of the photo above of downtown is the auto staging area for the Kingston - Edmonds Ferry. This is one of the most popular routes to get to the Olympic Peninsula from Seattle, Everett, and other area on the more populated side of Puget Sound. Weekend traffic can be a major problem on Sunday afternoon as it backs up at the ferry terminal.
There are a few small restaurants in downtown Kingston, and a few other such services where people waiting to get on the ferry (sometimes the wait is two hours). In recent years Kingston has attempted to promote a few attractions of its own, but other than the few restaurants surviving on ferry layover traffic this hasn't worked so very well in terms of attracting tourists to actually visit Kingston rather than treat it as an inconvenience.
The primary attraction here is the marina and boat ramp, which seems to be primarily used by those that fish the nearby waters.
- Pros:A few interesting restaurants.
- Cons:Local parks are largely still of local interest only. Horrific traffic from and to ferry makes walking across major streets quite difficult.
- In a nutshell:Trying hard to be more than just an inconvenience on the way to and from Seattle, but still a work in progress.
Hiring on to the Washington State Ferries in 1953, Ralph "Larry" White served the Washington State Ferry system until... more travel advice
While Kole-Koa Park is featured on the local tourist map, there really isn't anything here of any special interest. All... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Kingston Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Boyacá Hotels
- Lincoln City Hotels
- East Nashville
- New Hampshire
- British Virgin Islands
- Belmar Hotels
- Navajo National Monument Campground Hotels
- Province de Luxembourg
- Gravesend Hotels
- Soufflenheim Hotels
- Moreton in the Marsh
Badges & Stats in Kingston
- 11 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Kingston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingston
Photos in KingstonSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 158 reviews, 783 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 328 photos, 28 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos