"Growing Suburb in the Wooded Valley" Issaquah by glabah
Issaquah Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 24 photos
Issaquah was at one time a small community with an economy based on the surrounding forest and mountains. When Interstate 90 was built through the community, it started to become a suburban community for Seattle, and as housing prices in Seattle have increased so to has the number of people living here and working in Seattle.
Adding to the desirability of the place, is the scenic setting among the forests and mountains of the Snoqualmie Valley. Such scenery is growing harder and harder to find closer to Seattle.
Industry and commercial establishments beyond the local forest economy soon followed, and in the late 1980s and early 1990s Issaquah was the site chosen to manufacture new trolley buses for King County Metro.
Today, a large medical center is being constructed on top of one of the hills just outside Issaquah, and you have to wonder just how long it will be before the scenic forests and other features that made this community so desirable no longer exist.
Tourist attractions include a small depot museum in the central downtown area. There is also a zoo that focuses on endangered animals of various sorts.
Getting here is fairly easy: take Interstate 90 out of downtown Seattle and eventually you will arrive here.
There is a significant transit center and park and ride lot here, and on weekdays and Saturdays express buses operated by Sound Transit run between downtown Issaquah, the transit center, and downtown Seattle. Local bus services include King County Metro buses to the University District and bus route 209 (of most interest to tourists) that goes to Snoqualmie Falls and Snoqualmie (which have tourist activities of significant interest), as well as Falls City and North Bend (which have less tourist interest).
There really isn't anything of special interest about this park. It is a fairly typical city park of primary interest to... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Issaquah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Growing Suburb in the Wooded Valley"
- "ISSAQUAH, WASHINGTON"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Issaquah
- Transportation in Issaquah
- Restaurants in Issaquah
- Shopping in Issaquah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Issaquah
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (243)
Have you been to Issaquah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Issaquah
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Local festivals and attractions"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Issaquah Transit Center and Public Transit Access"
- updated a Issaquah Travel Page "Growing Suburb in the Wooded Valley"
- Wrote a Review Tibbetts Valley Park: Sports Field, Picnic Shelter in Issaquah Off The Beaten Path
Photos in IssaquahSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 171 reviews, 881 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 160 reviews, 670 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 28 reviews, 522 photos, 51 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 241 photos, 20 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 49 reviews, 186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 6 travelogues