"Nice Secluded Beach, Vast Tons of Explosives" Indian Island by glabah
Indian Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 16 photos
There are four places in Washington that are known as Indian Island. This particular Indian Island is located at the entrance to Puget Sound near Port Townsend. The vast majority of Indian Island is a large US Navy ammunition dump. Don't drop anything heavy on the ground here or make any other sudden moves, unless you want to make Puget Sound much, much larger and deeper.
By far the lagest structure on the island is a huge crane used for unloading the US Navy Ships that stop here. Above is the view of Indian Island and this huge crane from Port Townsend.
There is a small public park located on the southern end of Indian Island.
One of the great things about having all the huge ammunition buried on the island (the sand would help deaden any explosions with somewhat less damage than if the explosives were located, say, under a pile of heavy rocks) is that the vast majority of the island is left in a fairly forested and natural state.
This means that a visit here is a bit like going back in time a few decades to when the Olympic Peninsula had fewer people, a slower lifestyle, and a whole lot fewer buildings.
Indian Island Park has a wonderful forest that separates the beach from the highway to Marrowstone Island, and the lack of people gives the entire area a wonderful uncrowded atmosphere.
This is the type of photo that people think of when they think of Puget Sound.
Though, the camera is very selective. If you were to turn to the right, you would see that the other side of the straight is covered in houses.
It is nice to know that this little piece of public beach has been preserved, to show what the area once was like, and to allow public access to a somewhat lesser known beach location.
- Pros:Wonderfully preserved, somewhat secluded beach-front forest
- Cons:it might blow up in a huge explosion some day, the only public toilets are pit toilets
glabah's Related Pages
Indian Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice Secluded Beach, Vast Tons of Explosives"
- Create a Indian Island Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Indian Island
- 1 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (251)
Have you been to Indian Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indian Island
Photos in Indian IslandSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 171 reviews, 881 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 160 reviews, 670 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 549 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 378 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 249 photos, 21 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 53 reviews, 197 photos, 4 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 6 travelogues