"Small Fortress yet Perceived to be Vital" Fort Columbia State Park by glabah
Fort Columbia State Park Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 31 photos
Compared to the size of Fort Stevens, Fort Canby, Fort Flagler or a few other fortresses guarding the entrance to ports and rivers from the Pacific Ocean, Fort Columbia isn't especially huge. However, it was at one time considered to be vital to the defense of the Columbia River.
After World War II, the park was determined to be surplus to the needs of the military, and it wound up in the hands of the State of Washington. While conversion to a State Park commenced at that time, plans were also in place for the underground facilities here to be used by vital state government functions should a nuclear assault happen upon Olympia, the state capitol.
Today, the park consists of a museum on the grounds, various outdoor displays with interpretive signs, and special guest houses in some of the old military housing.
Hiking trails of various lengths have been built through the forests above the park, and a few of those provide viewpoints.
- Pros:Nice little park with a bit of history and some decent (not great) views of the Columbia River and the surrounding hills.
- Cons:Not a huge amount of stuff here. Difficult to access if going westbound on highway 101, and dangerous to exit from if going to Highway 101 westbound.
For various reasons, the two buildings that previously served as the museums at Fort Columbia State Park have been... more travel advice
In several cases, where the Washington State Parks has found itself owning old military properties, some of the old... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Fort Columbia State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FORT COLUMBIA - HISTORY PRESERVED"
- "Small Fortress yet Perceived to be Vital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Columbia State Park
- Hotels in Fort Columbia State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Columbia State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Columbia State Park
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Fort Columbia State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Columbia State Park
- Posted in Travel Yellowknife Forum "Re: Yellowknife in December from..."
- updated a Fort Columbia State Park Travel Page "Small Fortress yet Perceived to be Vital"
- Wrote a Review Fort Columbia Museums Closed Until Further Notice in Fort Columbia State Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fort Columbia Museums Closed Until Further Notice"
Photos in Fort Columbia State ParkSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 771 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 720 photos, 75 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 46 reviews, 207 photos, 5 travelogues