"Rugged Ocean Views" Deception Pass State Park by glabah
Deception Pass State Park Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 105 photos
NOTE: As of July 1, 2011, a day use fee has been implemented at many Washington State parks. This fee is $10 per day, or a $30 fee for a year pass. There is a $5 fee in addition to the annual pass fee if purchased at one of the many resellers. Please see my Discover Pass tip for a little more about this. For a bit more about Washington State parks in general, please see my Washington State Parks tip.
They call the Pacific Northwest the "graveyard of the Pacific Ocean" and the reason for this name is no more clear at any other location than at Deception Pass State Park. At this location sheer rock walls converge on a series of narrow passages connecting the north end of Widbey Island to a series of small waterways on the inland side of the island.
Deception Pass between Widbey Island and Fidalgo Island were so named by none other than Captain George Vancouver himself. While exploring the region the expedition was quite convinced that Widbey Island was just another in a long series of eccentric peninsulas that make Puget Sound and the Straight of Juan de Fuca a complete maze of water. However, when they came to the north end of the island they discovered the passage between the two islands and realized the shape and attributes of the land had deceived them, and they had actually been looking at an island all along. The name Deception Pass was chosen to memorialize the mistake, and eternally remind all future generations that navigation in this region is not a simple matter.
Currents from the inland passageways are compressed through these narrow channels, and the rock walls down to the edge of the water is quite sheer. From the outside, this looks like no place for any boat of any kind at all.
Yet, that brutal scenery is also a place of beautiful vistas, and thus Deception Pass State Park is a very popular tourist destination.
The popularity of this location becomes quite clear when you drive though this area on highway 20. As you approach the two bridges that carry highway 20 from Widbey Island to the small but spectacular Pass Island, and then from Pass Island to Fidalgo Island, you will typically find a huge amount of congestion as people pull over to the side of the road to take a look at the vistas available in this area.
Camping, hiking, beaches, fishing, and kayaking are all part of what is available here. There are a few great day use areas too that are just good picnic and relaxation spots. For example, see the Cranberry Lake Day Use Area. There are several campgrounds, the most extensive of which is Cranberry Lake Campground, which has tent camping and trailer / RV camping sites. Certain areas of the park also have even more primitive hike in / walk in camp sites.
The Maiden of Deception Pass is one of the local legends associated with this location.
- Pros:Beautiful, rugged state park with many amenities, close to Seattle
- Cons:A very popular place, especially on nice weekends, close to Seattle
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit, even when the crowds have invaded - but try to time your visit to avoid them.
NOTE: I have used the spelling Kw?kwál?lw?t as that is the closest I can come to the spelling on a r Romanized keyboard.... more travel advice
In contrast to the neary North Beach, the West Beach area is directly next to a parking lot, and there are a lot of... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Deception Pass State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rugged Ocean Views"
- "Deception Pass State Park"
- "Deception Pass State Park"
- "Deception Pass - Washington's favorite"
- "Passing through Deception Pass"
- "Deception Pass"
- "Deception Pass Bridge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deception Pass State Park
- Hotels in Deception Pass State Park
- Transportation in Deception Pass State Park
- Restaurants in Deception Pass State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Deception Pass State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deception Pass State Park
- 12 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Deception Pass State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deception Pass State Park
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Couple day getaway by myself"
- Uploaded a Photo to "By Public Transit from South or North"
- created a Deception Pass State Park Travelogue "Deception Pass, Seattle -> Friday Harbor Clipper"
- Wrote a Review Kw?kwál?lw?t: The Maiden of Deception Pass in Deception Pass State Park Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 161 reviews, 790 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 352 photos, 31 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue