"Some Historic Buildings Survive" Centralia by glabah
Centralia Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 101 photos
Centralia has a downtown area with a number of buildings that have been preserved somewhat by accident: when Interstate 5 was built just west of downtown, much of the business activity moved there. Many structures that might have been otherwise demolished and replaced with more modern structures were thus preserved.
Today, downtown Centralia has a number of local restaurants as most of the chain restaurants are closer to Interstate 5. There are also a number of historic buildings that serve as antique stores and other businesses themed around the historic downtown.
However, it should be noted, businesses survival here is difficult, and there are also a number of vacancies.
Perhaps the most famous feature of Centralia is its role in early 20th century political unrest, as an event called the Centralia Massacre was turned into a major event in the national press.
However, Centralia really should be known for a much older event: its founding. Specifically, it should be known that Centralia was founded by an ex-slave named George Washington. A monument memorializing this fairly unique story is located in George Washington Park in the core of downtown Centralia.
The core of downtown Centralia is easily walkable, but should you want to go further afield there is local bus service provided by Twin Transit. A number of longer distance services connect at the historic Centralia Amtrak Station, so that there are quite a lot of things in the community that may be accessed without a personal vehicle, nor is it necessary to have a vehicle to get here.
- Pros:Downtown core very walkable.
- Cons:Several busy roads make getting around a little difficult in places. Much business activity close to Interstate 5, where it is much harder to get around on foot. Small town with limited activity.
- In a nutshell:Downtown with a lot of personality and worthy of further exploration.
If you like bird watching, the seasonal pond at the end of Goodrich Road near the Discovery Trail parking area is one of... more travel advice
Located next to the Borst House, the demonstration garden has a number of sections to it showing how different... more travel advice
- See All Highly Recommended, but Not By Me
- See All Enterprise Rental Cars Centralia
- Outlets along Interstate 5
glabah's Related Pages
Centralia Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Centralia
- Hotels in Centralia
- Transportation in Centralia
- Restaurants in Centralia
- Shopping in Centralia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Centralia
- 30 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Centralia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Centralia
Photos in CentraliaSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 171 reviews, 881 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 160 reviews, 670 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 540 photos, 53 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 241 photos, 20 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 53 reviews, 197 photos, 4 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 6 travelogues