"Now an Afterthought beside the Freeway" Castle Rock by glabah
Castle Rock Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos
Here is The Rock: Castle Rock was named after this fairly large rock that sits beside the Cowlitz River, and in the days when river traffic was the primary mode of transportation this was a very significant landmark along the river.
Castle Rock was once an important commerce location. This was the furthest upriver the larger Columbia River boats could get on many occasions. Thus, freight and passengers transferred here to a smaller boat. They were then brought further upriver to Toledo. where the overland trip to the Puget Sound region began.
The slow arrival of railroads connecting many of the major communities in Oregon and Washington slowly spelled the end of Castle Rock as an important transportation community.
However, sawmills and other logging operations were a primary employer here for many decades. However, as roads became much better, the logging operations consolidated with Longview becoming the primary timber community in the region.
Today, many people visit the north side of Mount Saint Helens that is accessed from the same exit off of Interstate 5, but few visitors venture west of the freeway ever so slightly to the town of Castle Rock itself.
Located along the Cowlitz River and right next to the Riverfront Trail, this bike park was constructed for bike users,... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Castle Rock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mount St. Helens/Castle Rock Page"
- "Now an Afterthought beside the Freeway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castle Rock
- Hotels in Castle Rock
- Transportation in Castle Rock
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Castle Rock
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Castle Rock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castle Rock
Photos in Castle RockSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 158 reviews, 783 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 328 photos, 28 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos