"Ignore what Everyone Says: It's a Nice Place" Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton by glabah
Bremerton Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 155 photos
When I was looking at taking a ferry trip out of downtown Seattle, just to see the city from a ferry, I was told "Oh you want to go to Bainbridge Island. The Bremerton ferry is a more scenic trip, but the bad part is that you wind up in Bremerton." Unfortunately, this seems to be many people's opinion of Bremerton, and I'm not quite certain why.
Yes, Bremerton is the home of a large naval ship yard. Seattle has the large container port on its south side between West Seattle and downtown that is an ugly eyesore too. It's not like every city out there is perfect. There are far worse places than the west side of Puget Sound next to the Olympic Mountain Range!
Bremerton actually has quite an interesting downtown, and a considerable part of it has actually been fairly recently rebuilt. Some of the more interesting structures remain, and together this creates a nice small town.
Naturally, due to the city's history, things to do here include the Naval Museum and tours of the navy ship SS Turner Joy turned into a museum.
An interesting park and fountain has been built between the Navy Ship Yard and the Bremerton Ferry Terminal, which features Exploding Balls of Water shooting upward from five structures that are shaped like submarine conning towers.
There are in fact a number of interesting fountains scattered about the small downtown area, including an extensive animated fountain that is part of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Memorial Plaza.
One of the more eccentric museums in the area is the Aurora Valentinetti Puppet Museum, which houses a number of puppets from places as far away as India, but also some historical articles from closer to home.
Another museum is the Kitsap County Historical Society Museum, which includes a number of articles from the history of the area around Bremerton. This includes the ship industry as well as the logging industry.
You will also find an assortment of small restaurants scattered throughout the city, and many of them look quite interesting.
Night time isn't void of entertainment either. You will also find that Bremerton has a community theatre program that has been active for quite a number of decades, despite being only a ferry trip away from all the night life Seattle offers.
- Pros:small walkable downtown, museum attractions, close to Olympic Mountains. Level of activities reasonably good for a small town. Has public transit service.
- Cons:Limited employment options for residents, new downtown has limited preservation of old buildings. Limited range of activities as it is a small town. Public transit operation is limited, and never on Sundays.
- In a nutshell:If you are visiting Seattle, may be worthy of a day trip, depending on your interests.
There are various boat trips available from Bremerton. Some of these are charter trips, while others are regularly... more travel advice
The Bremerton Transportation Center serves: + The Washington State Ferries Bremerton to Seattle route, including... more travel advice
Written Sep 15, 2009
Artwork and Monuments from All Over Bremerton
Written Sep 17, 2009
More Photos from the Bremerton - Seattle Ferry
Written Dec 16, 2009
A Few More Photos from the USS Turner Joy
Written Mar 23, 2011
A Few Photos from Bremerton Ferry on a Clear Day
glabah's Related Pages
Bremerton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ignore what Everyone Says: It's a Nice Place"
- "Great place to visit--better place to live!"
- "Just across the Sound"
- "Yep, I live here!"
- "garyb2's new Bremerton Page"
- "Welcome to Bremerton, WA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bremerton
- Hotels in Bremerton
- Transportation in Bremerton
- Nightlife in Bremerton
- Restaurants in Bremerton
- Shopping in Bremerton
- Warnings and Dangers in Bremerton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bremerton
- 22 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Bremerton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bremerton
- Posted in Travel Washington State Forum "Re: Olympic NP or Mt. Rainier in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bremerton Transportation Center & Ferry Terminal"
- Wrote a Review Various Boat Trips and Tours from Bremerton in Bremerton Things to Do
- updated a Bremerton Travel Page "Ignore what Everyone Says: It's a Nice Place"
- Uploaded a Video to Bremerton
- Commented on one of Fewf's Bremerton travel pages
Photos in BremertonSee All Photos (128)
Videos in BremertonSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 162 reviews, 791 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 368 photos, 33 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue