"Quiet City with Old Downtown" Anacortes by glabah
Anacortes Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 140 photos
Anacortes is what once might have been called a "fishing village", and there is still a heavy emphasis on boats and the water that surrounds the city on three sides. It has a fairly active ship yard that rebuilds commercial vessels of all sorts. However, today much of the income in the city comes from the nearby refinery at March's Point and the jobs it creates.
You will find that Anacortes has a number of older buildings throughout its downtown area, and in general the town has the feel of a laid back coastal community, without having a tourist trap type feel to it.
Unfortunately, the primary tourist activity in Anacortes is to pass through it. The ferry terminal west of downtown is the primary gateway to the San Juan Islands, and also a link to Sidney and Vancouver Island. It is an attractive town in its own right, and if it looks as though your choice is to spend a few hours in line at the ferry terminal or in downtown Anacortes for a lighter loaded ferry trip, your best choice may be downtown Anacortes for a few hours. The area around the ferry terminal is quite desolate.
The ferry terminal that links Anacortes with Sidney, BC and the San Juan Islands should be a place with a few things to... more travel advice
I can't tell you how the fresh baked pizzas are, or their other foods (they have various other things), but I went for... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Anacortes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quiet City with Old Downtown"
- "One of the ports to go to Olympic Peninsula!"
- "Gateway to the San Juans"
- "Pretty much the best place to live ever"
- "Lets Get off the Ferry!"
- "Washington State San Juan Island Adventure"
- "WFTR's new Anacortes Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anacortes
- Hotels in Anacortes
- Transportation in Anacortes
- Nightlife in Anacortes
- Restaurants in Anacortes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Anacortes
- 19 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Anacortes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anacortes
Photos in AnacortesSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 162 reviews, 795 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 159 reviews, 655 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 27 reviews, 465 photos, 44 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 209 photos, 16 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues