"First Seattle area Community" Alki by glabah
Alki Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 56 photos
West Seattle and and the Alki Peninsula are two different parts of a peninsula that sticks up just west of downtown Seattle and forms Elliott Bay.
I am in the process of organizing these tips so that they are in the correct locations: Alki faces west and towards Puget Sound, and West Seattle is a busier community at the summit of the hill on the Peninsula, as well as being part of the peninsula that faces downtown Seattle across Elliott Bay.
If you don't see something here and expected to see it, please check my West Seattle page for more information on those items on the Peninsula that are further east.
The area of the Alki Peninsula was the first site of a non-Native American community in the area near what is now Seattle, but it was very short lived and no trace remains of what was here in the 1850s. Currently the oldest structure is a restaurant that is currently closed.
Both areas are connected to Seattle by the King County Water Taxi and the associated free bus service that connects the water taxi to Alki and various parts of West Seattle.
Alki Point itself has a lighthouse that is quite attractive, but the best views of it are from the Seattle - Vashon Island ferry due to the area around the lighthouse being closed to the public.
Alki Beach is a fairly popular summer beach, and has been for many years.
A large number of smaller parks dot the area, and some of them are interesting curiousities. For example, Weatherwatch Park was supposed to be a ferry terminal, and the Avenue of the Stars is a curious representation of various constellations in the sidewalk.
In the distant past, it appears there was once a plan for a through street here, when the city's planners were looking... more travel advice
The store is part of the Log Cabin Museum and therefore is open 12 to 4 Thursdays through Sundays, just as the museum... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Alki Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Alki
- 18 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Alki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alki
Photos in AlkiSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 161 reviews, 790 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 352 photos, 31 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue