"Old Southeast Portland City is Neighborhood Center" Woodstock by glabah
Woodstock Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 60 photos
In 1889, this area was well outside the borders of the city of Portland, which at the time didn't even reach east of the Willamette River. In order to help bring urban services (especially a much-desired streetcar line) to their area, the residents incorporated Woodstock as a city in 1889, as shown on the sign.
While it isn't as active a neighborhood center as Hawthorne or Belmont, the Woodstock area is a very active neighborhood center with a fairly significant number of stores and restaurants.
Tourist activities are fairly limited, however, unless you have come here to visit a particular restaurant or shop. There are several place worthy of your attention if you are visiting the Portland area:
+ Reed College Canyon (in nearby Eastmoreland) features a wild wetlands in the middle of a college campus
+ Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden is also in Eastmoreland
+ The Joinery on SE Woodstock (the street itself!) features a number of handcrafted wooden items. Most of their heavy material is furniture, but there are some smaller items here that may be of interest to travelers.
+ There are a variety of restaurants here, almost all of which are local establishments rather than being chain restaurants.
Surrounding the business district along Woodstock Boulevard is a fairly quiet residential area, with mostly single family homes.
For neighborhood events see the Woodstock Neighborhood Association web site at http://www.woodstockpdx.org/
For a list of restaurants, and many other businesses in the area, see the Woodstock Community Business Association web site at http://www.woodstockbiz.com/
- Pros:interesting places to eat, close to downtown
- Cons:not much in the way of tourist attractions
For many years what Middle Eastern restaurants there were in Portland tended to be in the upper east side, such as... more travel advice
My first visit to The Delta Café happened a bit by accident. I needed a bit of something to eat, and saw the... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Woodstock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Southeast Portland City is Neighborhood Center"
- Create a Woodstock Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Woodstock
- 14 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Woodstock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woodstock
Photos in WoodstockSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 161 reviews, 790 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 352 photos, 31 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue