"Oregon Gateway to Gorge and Local Shopping" Troutdale by glabah
Troutdale Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 48 photos
This photo shows old downtown Troutdale, which is a fairly small area along the old Columbia River highway. It is completely dwarfed by the new, relatively unattractive commercial area along Interstate 84. In the background you can see the forested knoll overlooking Lewis & Clark state park. Parts of downtown Troutdale are still in commercial distress: the building on the far right (mostly out of the photo) is an abandoned old gas station - old enough to have a brick driveway that has never been paved. In a different location it might have been turned into a historic attraction, but here, right now, it has yet to see any restoration effort - or even the more typical demolition and conversion to other development.
For many years Troutdale was ignored by most tourists. The old downtown area stood neglected for a long time, while most traffic went by on nearby I-84.
The development of the large new factory outlet stores meant that much of old Troutdale lost its pure historic nature, but on the other hand it also brought in visitors.
Today, Troutdale's downtown still lacks the huge number of visitors that it has the potential to attract. The factory outlet stores have a huge potential to be used as a springboard to help the rest of the community. Alas, to date, they have not been used as such and remain an isolated parking lot, for the most part.
A few small but interesting wilderness areas are scatted about this city.
Other local parks include Sunrise Park, which features a wonderful view of Mount Hood and the forests to the east.
By far the biggest attraction is the Columbia River Gorge, to which Troutdale is basically Oregon's gateway. However, most people don't bother stopping in Troutdale but instead head straight through to the gorge.
- Pros:Close to Interstate 84 and Columbia River Gorge. Interesting small downtown area with some unique shops.
- Cons:Cold wind blasts out of Columbia River Gorge most of the year. Noise from the highway. Most people miss the downtown shops due to huge Factory Outlet complex by Interstate 84.
- In a nutshell:Great stopover or overnight place on your way into the Columbia River Gorge, but no major attractions in and of itself.
Many businesses along the main road through downtown Troutdale have been part of turning the community into a small arts... more travel advice
The area where the Sandy River enters the Columbia River now has a park of sorts on the est side of the Sandy River. The... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Troutdale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregon Gateway to Gorge and Local Shopping"
- "Troutdale, Oregon"
- "The Start of the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Hwy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Troutdale
- Transportation in Troutdale
- Restaurants in Troutdale
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Troutdale
- 15 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Troutdale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Troutdale
Photos in TroutdaleSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 743 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 645 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 18 reviews, 196 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues