"Not Much to This Little Town" Peoria by glabah
Peoria Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos
There really isn't that much to Peoria. There are perhaps 20 structures to the town, including a greenhouse, a church, several houses (including one made from a very old warehouse that was used to tranship grain from local wagons to boats on the river) and a park beside the Willamette River. Other than that, there isn't much here.
Peoria sits directly on the east side of the Willamette River, and shows signs of at one time being one of the important locations for local farm produce to be sent downriver by boat.
When the railroads were built in the Willamette Valley starting in 1870 and continuing into the 1910s, such communities along the river started to dry up, unless they too had a railroad connection.
Today, such communities even along the railroad lines have vastly diminished importance as trucks are able to move farm products directly from the farm to large distribution centers for shipment, or long distance movement by train, or intermodal shipment across the country.
A few of the structures in Peoria sport historic structure plaques, but others are in disrepair or have been obviously heavily altered. The church, for example, looks like 3/4 of the structure is a highly historic building, while the remaining 1/4 was heavily altered to join it with a much more modern annex.
- Pros:Very small town, and may be seen by walking.
- Cons:Other than a single county park next to a busy road, there isn't much to see.
glabah's Related Pages
Peoria Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Peoria
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (291)
Have you been to Peoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peoria
Photos in PeoriaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 777 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 769 photos, 81 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 92 reviews, 424 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 265 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 51 reviews, 233 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 59 reviews, 222 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues