"Small Coastal Community with Two State Parks" Pacific City by glabah
Pacific City Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 32 photos
It doesn't look like too much in this photo, but Haystack Rock dominates Pacific City. As you approach Pacific City, you will see the top of the rock looming over the town, which says something about the size of the rock when you realize that it is this far off the coast.
This is not the famous Haystack Rock that is featured in so many coastal Oregon post cards. That Haystack Rock is located quite far north just off the coast of Cannon Beach. However, there are several such rocks so named on the Oregon Coast, and this is one of the two lesser known ones that exist in the VirtualTourist Database.
This pair of common mergansers was seen from the %L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/20cf93/ ]tiny riverfront park%L* in downtown Pacific City on 22 March 2011.
Pacific City has two state parks. The most famous of these is Cape Kiwanda, which is featured in a number of famous photos of Oregon. Due to its severe popularity it is rapidly eroding into non-existence. The other state park is Robert Straub, which is somewhat south of the city and features more traditional beach environments.
Highway 101 goes through Pacific City, but north of town it curves inland and remains away from the coast for approximately 20 miles. For those that want a scenic bit of the Oregon Coast, from here north is the Three Capes Scenic Loop. This is a slower route than highway 101 but it is more scenic.
As with many of the Oregon beaches, the water can be rough, the wind can be cold, and yet you will find that many of us... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Pacific City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE DORY FLEET"
- "Small Coastal Community with Two State Parks"
- "The Oregon Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pacific City
- Hotels in Pacific City
- Restaurants in Pacific City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pacific City
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (251)
Have you been to Pacific City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pacific City
Photos in Pacific CitySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 171 reviews, 881 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 160 reviews, 670 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 549 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 378 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 249 photos, 21 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 53 reviews, 197 photos, 4 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 6 travelogues