"Once a Quiet Community, Now a Tourist Destination" Oceanside by glabah
Oceanside Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 17 photos
Like many of the places on the Oregon coast, Oceanside was once a quiet community that had a lot of rustic charm, but has now been built up so that it looks like a wealthy suburb of a crowded urban area. Summer days, even weekdays, are crowded.
In the photo above you can see the huge contrast between the small cabins on the lower part of the hill, which is how Oceanside used to look. The huge newer houses further up the hill are far more involved and luxurious than what used to be here.
At the same time, there are certainly places on the Oregon coast that are more crowded, and this little community is located far from highway 101. In fact, the community is mostly set at the end of a road that doesn't lead anywhere, which makes it quite a bit more pleasant than communities that are separated from the Ocean by highway 101 or some other through road.
The primary attraction of Oceanside, of course, is that it sits right on the Pacific Ocean and it has a beach (note that a number of places on the Oregon coast DON'T have a beach, but instead have large rock formations instead). The beach here is a state park. However, the parking lot is almost always full of vehicles.
In the distance you can see Three Arch Rocks, which is a series of three large rocks just off the coast, each of which has its own unique natural arch in them. There are several smaller rocks that are part of this formation. These are a popular location for sea birds to nest, and it has been set aside as a National Wildlife Refuge.
However, it is difficult to see the unusual arches in the rocks from Oceanside. Instead, the arches are most visible from Cape Meares State Park just north of here (see photo of Three Arch Rocks from Cape Meares).
- Pros:End of Road so no heavy auto traffic as in some places, has a beach
- Cons:quite crowded in the summer and on warm days
Not so very long ago, Oceanside was a quiet and out of the way community served by an unknown dead-end road off of a... more travel advice
I did not stay in this facility, but it looked interesting and thought I would research it as much as possible for a... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Oceanside Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LITTLE GEM BETWEEN THE CAPES"
- "Once a Quiet Community, Now a Tourist Destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oceanside
- Hotels in Oceanside
- Transportation in Oceanside
- Restaurants in Oceanside
- Warnings and Dangers in Oceanside
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oceanside
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Oceanside?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oceanside
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Would you go on a trip..."
- updated a Oceanside Travel Page "Once a Quiet Community, Now a Tourist Destination"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Once a Quiet Community, Now a Tourist Destination"
- Wrote a Review Watch the Road Signs: No Place for Big Vehicles in Oceanside Warnings and Dangers
Photos in OceansideSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 752 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 646 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 19 reviews, 198 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues