"Little to Recommend it To Travelers" Oak Grove by glabah
Oak Grove Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 9 photos
Oak Grove has very little to recommend it to travelers. There are several cheap hotels along highway 99E, several parks in the residential neighborhoods, and a boat launching ramp. Restaurants of all kinds are along Highway 99E.
The cheap hotels aren't ones that I would recommend, unless you are desperate for a cheap bed. Most of the restaurants are OK, but not great, and except for the area along the river nothing is particularly scenic.
The items I list here are basically of local interest only, and not something most travelers would be interested in visiting - unless very desperate or just looking for a place to rest on their way through the area.
Oak Grove has an old downtown area, which is centered on SE Arista Drive and Oak Grove Blvd. Until 1958, an electric interurban railway provided passenger service along Arista, connecting this community with Portland and Oregon City. Freight service on this line was discontinued in the 1960s, and with the end of passenger service the economic center of the community moved to highway 99E and Oak Grove Blvd. The old downtown area is a bit more attractive, if somewhat more run down looking, than the new one.
There are many Christmas light shows in the Portland area that are far more famous than those of little Anspach Street... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Oak Grove Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oak Grove
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Oak Grove?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oak Grove
Photos in Oak GroveSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 743 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 645 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 18 reviews, 196 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues