"Suburb with No Major Attractions" Oak Grove by glabah
Oak Grove Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 26 photos
Oak Grove has very little to recommend it to travelers. There are several cheap hotels along highway 99E, several parks in the residential neighborhoods, and a boat launching ramp on the Willamette River. Restaurants of all kinds are along Highway 99E, and those may be of interest to people driving through on their way to Portland on that highway.
The cheap hotels aren't ones that I would recommend, unless you are desperate for a cheap bed. Most of the restaurants are OK, but not great, and except for the area along the river nothing is particularly scenic.
The items I list here are basically of local interest only, and not something most travelers would be interested in visiting - unless very desperate or just looking for a place to rest on their way through the area.
Oak Grove has an old downtown area, which is centered on SE Arista Drive and Oak Grove Blvd. Until 1958, an electric interurban railway provided passenger service through that area, connecting this community with Portland and Oregon City. Freight service on this line was discontinued in the 1960s, and with the end of passenger service the economic center of the community moved to highway 99E and Oak Grove Blvd. The old downtown area is a bit more attractive, if somewhat more run down looking, than the new center of activity at Highway 99E and Oak Grove Blvd.
While the Trolley Trail through Oak Grove is lacking in benches, there are these artistic cube things that sit next to... more travel advice
This park is one of the few publicly accessible spots along the Willamette River in the Oak Grove area. Most of the... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Oak Grove Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Oak Grove
- 4 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (278)
Have you been to Oak Grove?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oak Grove
Photos in Oak GroveSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 179 reviews, 925 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 164 reviews, 759 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 688 photos, 71 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 46 reviews, 207 photos, 5 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues