Lents Things to Do Tips by glabah
Lents Things to Do: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Willamette National Cemetery, Memorial Day, 2008
At 269 acres, this cemetery is larger than many Portland city parks, and contains over 133,000 graves and veterans. Most of the time, the various roads and pathways are quiet, but there are several large celebrations here that bring large crowds. These include Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
Due to the huge crowds that gather here during these events. the Willamette National Cemetery is by far the lagest and best known tourist attraction in the Lents area.
The cemetery is a Blue Star Memorial Highway site.
An outdoor theatre at the top of the hill is the usual site of the events at the cemetery.
Address: 11800 SE Mt. Scott Boulevard, Portland, OR 97086
Directions: Exit I-205 at Foster Road. Go east on Foster to 110th, then south on 110th to Cemetery entrance. OR: go weston Foster to 92nd, south to Flavel, east on Flavel and up hill to Cemetery entrance. Bus Route 19 serves lowest entrance gate.
Phone: (503) 273-5250
Leach Botanical Garden:main entrance and metalwork
Starting in 1931, the Leaches (she was an accomplished botanist, and he was a pharmacist) created an estate along the banks of Johnson Creek in southeast Portland. Their plant collection included a number of northwest species, but also included a huge number from all over the world. Today, the facility is on land belonging to the Portland Parks & Recreation, with the collection maintained by a group of volunteers.
Trails wander through the entire property, and there are some park benches throughout the place for people to stop and enjoy themselves and the beauty that surrounds them. Efforts are made to label all of the plants found there.
It should be noted that there are some regulations for those visiting, such as anyone under the age of 12 be accompanied by an adult, pets are not allowed, and bicycles are not allowed on the trails.
The Leach Garden Manor House is an attraction all its own, as it is a reasonably popular place for weddings and other events. John Leach was also an accomplished craftsman, and this shows in the house and the garden, as some of his metal work is on display. The house interior is extremely attractive.
I have created a separate tip just for the Leach Garden Gift Shop.
If you decide to visit using public transit, you need to be very careful. There are no sidewalks along SE 122nd south of Foster Road, and the road is narrow and curvy. People do walk and jog along here, but only with some considerable hazards encountered. Buses that serve SE 122nd & Foster are bus route #10 and #71.
All of the photos were taken Feb 15, 2008. The garden is far more attractive to visit in the spring and summer, but the lack of leaves makes the garden easier to photograph due to there being more light coming in through the foliage.
Address: 6704 SE 122 Avenue, Portland, OR 97236
Directions: East on Foster to SE 122nd and turn south at traffic light. At bottom of hill, cross Johnson Creek and turn right into Leach Garden parking lot.
Phone: (503) 823-9503
More Reviews (20)
- See All Trailer with Good Peruvian and Mexican
- See All Multnomah Park Pioneer Cemetery
- Lents MAX station and Bridge
glabah's Related Pages
Lents Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Lents
- Transportation in Lents
- Restaurants in Lents
- Shopping in Lents
- Warnings and Dangers in Lents
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lents
- 22 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Lents?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lents
Photos in LentsSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 161 reviews, 790 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 352 photos, 31 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue