"Old Community between Portland and Vancouver" Kenton by glabah
Kenton Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos
When it first formed, the community of Kenton was a small commercial area along the Columbia River directly north of Portland, and therefore had some commercial connections to the river.
As the area grew, it eventually became the furthest north community before the ferry terminal connecting Portland to Washington State.
In 1917, the first Interstate Bridge was constructed between Portland and Vancouver, eliminating the need for a ferry. Kenton became an important commercial communit beteween the two locations.
In 1959, Kenton was the closest community to the Oregon Centennial Celebration held at what is now the Exposition Center.
Today, the commercial and industrial area remains an active part of the region. However, the small center of the community that once formed Kenton and made it unique from most other parts of Portland is no longer anywhere near as active as it once was.
Don't get me wrong: there are still interesting businesses here, and if you are passing through on highway 99 you might find it worthwhile to stop here, but it isn't as if this community has any "Must See" Activities in it.
There is, however, this huge Paul Bunyan statue, which has lorded over the community since 1959.
- Pros:Severely off the beaten tourist path with a number of small restaurants and shops. Has a MAX station.
- Cons:Not much here that is a major or even minor tourist attraction.
- In a nutshell:Small community that retains some personality that was fairly typical of Portland neighborhoods until the late 1990s, when large scale development made many areas look the same.
Tiny but reasonably well maintained, the Kenton Rose Garden has actually won a few awards over the years from the... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Kenton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kenton
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Kenton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kenton
Photos in KentonSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 771 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 720 photos, 75 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 46 reviews, 207 photos, 5 travelogues