"Old Community between Portland and Vancouver" Kenton by glabah
Kenton Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos
When it first formed, the community of Kenton was a small commercial area along the Columbia River directly north of Portland, and therefore had some commercial connections to the river.
As the area grew, it eventually became the furthest north community before the ferry terminal connecting Portland to Washington State.
In 1917, the first Interstate Bridge was constructed between Portland and Vancouver, eliminating the need for a ferry. Kenton became an important commercial communit beteween the two locations.
In 1959, Kenton was the closest community to the Oregon Centennial Celebration held at what is now the Exposition Center.
Today, the commercial and industrial area remains an active part of the region. However, the small center of the community that once formed Kenton and made it unique from most other parts of Portland is no longer anywhere near as active as it once was.
Don't get me wrong: there are still interesting businesses here, and if you are passing through on highway 99 you might find it worthwhile to stop here, but it isn't as if this community has any "Must See" Activities in it.
There is, however, this huge Paul Bunyan statue, which has lorded over the community since 1959.
- Pros:Severely off the beaten tourist path with a number of small restaurants and shops. Has a MAX station.
- Cons:Not much here that is a major or even minor tourist attraction.
- In a nutshell:Small community that retains some personality that was fairly typical of Portland neighborhoods until the late 1990s, when large scale development made many areas look the same.
glabah's Related Pages
Kenton Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kenton
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Kenton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kenton
Photos in KentonSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 157 reviews, 778 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 155 reviews, 650 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 328 photos, 28 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos