"An Attractive Small Town Downtown" Independence by glabah
Independence Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 5 photos
Independence was so named as it was thought it would one day be the central community to the Willamette Valley, and thus the true end of the Oregon Trail - which started in Independence, Missouri.
This never came to pass, as international trade and sea ports wound up being more important to attracting a large population than the very fetile farmland in the Willamette Valley. Sure, people came for the farmland, but the industrial and trade centers in the ports proved a huge attraction.
Today, the city has an attractive downtown area made up of a fair number of preserved older storefront buildings. Small specialty shops and restaurants (most of which are not big chains) line the main street through downtown.
The busiest road through the area is highway 99W, which actually passes somewhat between Monmouth and Independence, thus keeping the core downtown areas reasonably preserved as small towns.
However, development is coming to Independence as well. A recent huge concrete structure is several blocks west of the core of downtown and has "luxury condominiums and retail space" combined in the same structure.
Located in one of the older storefronts in Independence that is one block west and north of the main throughfares of the... more travel advice
Between highway 51 (the main north-south highway through town) and the Willamette River, this park is built on a slope... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Independence Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Independence
- Transportation in Independence
- Shopping in Independence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Independence
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Independence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Independence
Photos in IndependenceSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 163 reviews, 797 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 159 reviews, 655 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 27 reviews, 489 photos, 47 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 209 photos, 16 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues