"Not a Place to Visit unless You Have To" Hayden Island by glabah
Hayden Island Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
There are two Hayden Islands in the state of Oregon. By far the most well known is the Hayden Island on the north side of Portland, in the Columbia River. Originally this was home of the fairly extensive Janzen Beach amusement park. When it opened in 1928 it was called the "Million Dollar Playground" and there was once the huge roller coaster known as the "Big Dipper" and is still a legend today.
However, it was decided that the area was much more valuable as housing and shopping, and by the 1970s almost everything that was once here was gone, and replaced by a rather unattractive shopping center and huge parking lots. Surrounding this was the residential areas.
In a small nod to the old traditions of the island, the shopping center is called "Janzen Beach".
I would normally suggest that travelers stay away from this place, but the several hotels here have become popular places for certain conventions, and so sometimes it isn't possible to avoid coming here. There is very little here of interest to the traveler, but what little is here I have put here for all to see.
- Pros:There are a few hotels here.
- Cons:Impossible to easily get on or off the island during some hours due to traffic tangles on the roads, most of island is home of very ugly development patterns.
- In a nutshell:Great place to be from: a long long way from!
While there isn't much in this tiny park on the southern side of Hayden Island, it is also the only public park on the... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Hayden Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hayden Island
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Hayden Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hayden Island
Photos in Hayden IslandSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 771 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 728 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 50 reviews, 224 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues