"No Longer a Nuclear Plant" Goble by glabah
Goble Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 0 photos
At one time, Goble was a fairly important community for commerce between Portland and the Puget Sound region, as the railroad between the two areas had no bridge over the Columbia River. Instead, a ferry and car float (ferry for railroad cars) operated between Goble and Kalama.
With the construction of the new bridge over the Columbia River in 1904, this ferry ceased service and the community became much less active.
In the 1980s the Trojan Nuclear Plant operated near Goble (though the official address was Rainier) until many defects in the design and citizen protest caused the plant to close. Demolition began in the 2000s, and by 2005 not much was left of the facility except a few abandoned and derelict office buildings. Even those eventually went away.
However, in place of the nuclear plant, today there is a park on the old facility.
- Pros:Not much here, reasonably quiet place, close to highway 30 (easy to get here), fairly good park.
- Cons:Not much here, close to highway 30 (traffic noise), old industrial site with some lingering radiation in places that are fenced off.
glabah's Related Pages
Goble Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goble
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (293)
Have you been to Goble?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goble
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 777 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 745 photos, 78 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 92 reviews, 424 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 265 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 51 reviews, 233 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 4 travelogues