"Once a Separate City" East Portland by glabah
East Portland Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 45 photos
At one time, East Portland was a separate city from the city of Portland. East Portland occupied the east side of the Willamette River and Portland was on the west side.
Various cities merged over the years, so that now East Portland is part of the city of Portland. However, the nature of the two parts of the city were, until a few years ago, different. The west side of the river had more wealth, the east side had many odd little stores and restaurants. Some remnants of this can still be found on SE Division and SE Hawthorne - areas that were once part of the incorporated city of East Portland.
As today it is all one city, if you are looking for tips it would be best for you to look for them under the city of Portland pages.
- Pros:Covers a fairly large and diverse area, Mt. Tabor Park is a great place to walk and has good views of surrounding areas. Hawthorne Blvd. and Belmont are great shopping and eating areas.
- Cons:Lots of busy streets that are difficult to cross.
- In a nutshell:Exploring outside downtown Portland should be on every visitor's list.
On May 27, 1998, bicyclist Matt Schekel was killed at the intersection of SE Taylor and 37th Avenue, after a delivery... more travel advice
I'm just uploading a few photos now. Please try back again later for a more complete description. more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
East Portland Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Prefecture of Evia
- Bad Ischl
- Little Exuma Island
- Lake Tarawera Hotels
- Sebago Lake Hotels
- Cruz Bay
- Kuala Kedah
- Opstina Veles
- Cipete Hotels
- Isla de La Plata Hotels
- Ksar Debbache Hotels
- Atotonilco Hotels
- Naturschutzpark Lüneburger Heide
- Playa del Ingles
Badges & Stats in East Portland
- 8 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to East Portland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Portland
Photos in East PortlandSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 743 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 645 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 18 reviews, 196 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues