"Historic Site, but Little Remains" Champoeg State Park by glabah
Champoeg State Park Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 63 photos
Champoeg was, for many many years, an important community in Oregon. Just how far this community goes back is anyone's guess: one of my relatives once had a friend that lived in the area near Butteville, and had a vast collection of Native American arrowheads collected just from their own property.
Obviously, history here goes back far before the arrival of the written word.
Today, the state park includes a large number of open areas, and some forested areas along the river. The park has camping, fishing, a bike path from Champoeg to Butteville, several historical displays and museums, and a number of other items. There are many picnic areas, and a freebee golf course that wanders through part of the park. A few historical sites in the park, such as the Kitty Newell grave and the Oregon Statehood site, are marked.
At one time, the area around the park was mostly farmland. Today, some of the farm land remains, but to an increasing degree the area is turning into a residential area for those who work in Wilsonville's high-tech industry. The park used to be fairly quiet and pleasant, but in recent years the roar of traffic on Wilsonville Road, across the river, has become incessant as more and more people move into the area.
Some pleasant aspects of the area remain, and some of the farms have turned into wineries and vinyards, which is hope that at least some of the region will be preserved from suburban sprawl.
A few links to assorted other web sites about Champoeg are located in my Champoeg Web Sites tip
- Pros:Nice park that preserves a piece of Oregon history. Several small museums inside and around the park.
- Cons:Not a major tourist attraction site, and no real major features.
- In a nutshell:Nice recreation spot and nice facilities, but historical markers are all that remain of the significant historical features.
Champoeg is one of the few places left where the Western Bluebird is able to find nesting spots, and only then due to... more travel advice
As one of the few areas in the park that actually has access to the river, I feel that the Blue Heron Picnic Area is... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Champoeg State Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Champoeg State Park
- Hotels in Champoeg State Park
- Shopping in Champoeg State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Champoeg State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Champoeg State Park
- 14 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Champoeg State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Champoeg State Park
Photos in Champoeg State ParkSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 162 reviews, 791 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 368 photos, 33 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue