"Enough Power to Light Seattle, Wilderness Trails" Bonneville by glabah
Bonneville Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 96 photos
While the town of North Bonneville on the Washington side of the river was incorporated as a city and today is a functioning small city, the community of Bonneville on the Oregon side was never incorporated, and today there are only a few buildings there. What remains there are mostly support structures for the Bonneville hydroelectric dam and its visitors center.
The pool of water you see in the foreground is the new navigation channel to the completely rebuilt locks. Construction of the new navigation channel required that the entire city of Bonneville be removed. While a few of the historic structures were preserved, they were removed from the site. Thus, this pool of water in the above photo is pretty much all that remains of the attractive little community that used to greet visitors on their way to the visitor's center of the Bonneville Dam.
Several popular trailheads are here, including the Eagle Creek trail which ultimately goes as far as Mount Hood. A number of waterfalls are located along that trail. There are also several trailheads for the Columbia Gorge Highway Trail, which was built over the remains of the old highway that ran through here before the Interstate Highway was built.
What many regard as the most popular trail in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area is the Eagle Creek Trail.... more travel advice
Currently, the section of the old Columbia Gorge Highway Trail going west from Tooth Rock is either exceptionally... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Bonneville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enough Power to Light Seattle, Wilderness Trails"
- "Basaic Bonneville Dam Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bonneville
- 9 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Bonneville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonneville
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A strange fact about..."
- updated a Bonneville Travelogue "Images of the Lower Portions of Eagle Creek"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Images of the Lower Portions of Eagle Creek"
- Wrote a Review Eagle Creek Trail: The Basics in Bonneville Things to Do
- Commented on one of GuthrieColin's Bonneville travel pages
Photos in BonnevilleSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 157 reviews, 778 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 155 reviews, 650 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 321 photos, 28 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos