"The Bad Place that is Good" Grants by glabah
Grants Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos
In Spanish, "El Mal Pais" roughly translates to "The Bad Place" (though normally one would expect to see it expressed as "El Pais Mal"), but in reality El Malpais is a wonderful series of natural features carved into the rocks and even underground (there are lava tubes) that isn't that far off the beaten track near Grants, New Mexico.
Yet, despite its status as a national monument, and despite reasonably good signs telling people where to go, the vast majority of people seem satisfied to simply drive though on the Interstate, and never actually come south a few miles to visit this place.
While the landscape is spectacular, it also creates some interesting images as to just what must have happened to early Spanish explorers here to create that name.
The most famous feature here is one of New Mexico's largest natural arches, but there are a number of other features here. While there are hiking trails, please remember that you are located over 7,000 feet. If you have not adjusted to the altitude yet, you will want to take it slow and easy, and rest when you feel the need. This is not a place where you want to be passing out due to altitude sickness.
glabah's Related Pages
Grants Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The (really rather lovely) Badlands"
- "Irisrainbow's new Grants Page"
- "Passing through Grants"
- "Basaic Grants Page"
- "The Bad Place that is Good"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grants
- Hotels in Grants
- Restaurants in Grants
- Warnings and Dangers in Grants
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grants
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Grants?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grants
- Posted in Travel Washington State Forum "Re: Olympic NP or Mt. Rainier in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Features & Fractures, El Malpais National Monument"
- updated a Grants Travelogue "Features & Fractures, El Malpais National Monument"
Photos in GrantsSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 162 reviews, 791 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 368 photos, 33 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue