"What the Locals Call "The Big Ditch"" Grand Canyon National Park by glabah
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 620 reviews and 1,614 photos
I'm not sure where to even begin trying to describe the Grand Canyon. It is one of these features just about anyone with any travel desires has seen photos of, and therefore my photos will only add duplicates to what you have already seen.
Yes, it is huge. The only real way to get a firm grasp of the size of the Grand Canyon is the way I first saw it: at 30,000 feet (9200 meters) above the canyon, from a Portland (OR) to Phoenix flight.
Yes, it is a very popular tourist destination, and unfortunately the Canyon has suffered because of the sheer number of people visiting it. You will find the area around South Rim (5 million visitors per year) to be particularly degraded due to the number of people who simply wander all through the delicate dry forest environment.
There is actually a fairly significant parking problem at the South Rim, and if you visit that area I severely suggest using the shuttle bus system that is operating there between the various popular destinations. It helps get you wehre you want to go without you having to spend hours wandering around looking for a parking place.
- Pros:Absolutely amazing place to visit.
- Cons:Crowded and popular tourist attraction many times of the year, not many options for lodging nearby.
- In a nutshell:It's a crowded place for a reason.
You will find dozens of tips already written on the Bright Angel Trail, just here on Virtualtourist. This doesn't even... more travel advice
While there isn't much at this location except a wide spot in the road and a stone wall, it does mark the beginning of... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grand Canyon, Colorado River Rafting"
- "Grandest of Canyons"
- "Getting to the Bottom of the Grand Canyon"
- "Grand Canyon is a lot of things to a lot of people"
- "A Walk Through Time"
- "Let's go rafting!!"
- "Grand Means Big and Deep Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Grand Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Grand Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Grand Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Grand Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Grand Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (233)
Have you been to Grand Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Canyon National Park
- Posted in Travel Fort Myers Beach Forum "Re: Transportation to Miromar..."
- updated a Grand Canyon National Park Travel Page "What the Locals Call "The Big Ditch""
- Uploaded a Photo to "Down to the Bottom of the Canyon"
- Wrote a Review Down to the Bottom of the Canyon about Bright Angel Trail in Grand Canyon National Park Things to Do
Photos in Grand Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 166 reviews, 865 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 159 reviews, 657 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 27 reviews, 497 photos, 48 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 209 photos, 16 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues