"Famous for Rain, but That's Only Part of the Story" Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon by glabah
Oregon Travel Guide: 5,331 reviews and 13,970 photos
While Oregon is famous for getting rain, that is really only true of the western 1/3 of the state. The Cascade Mountains split the state into a dry and wet section, and as the clouds get stuck west of the mountains the west of the state gets the most rain. This leaves the eastern 2/3 of the state relatively dry, and in fact the southeaster part of the state is more of a desert than anything else.
The Oregon Coast is a beautiful section of the state, but also keep in mind that it gets even more rain that the Willamette Valley and Portland as the Coast Range mountains also trap clouds.
Today, the most popular tourist attraction in Oregon is a casino in Grande Ronde, but for many years the most popular tourist attraction was Multnomah Falls.
By far the most frequent Oregon questions on the VirtualTourist Forums have to do with driving the Oregon Coast and what there is to see and do there.
Portland has lots to do, but it is basically my home city. It is much too easy to take your home for granted!
Silver Falls State Park is a wonderful place for a day or overnight.
During the summer months, Brooks has a number of museum attractions, including the Great Oregon Steam-up.
Salem is the state capitol, and has a few interesting things including Riverfront Park and its Ecoearth globe.
Astoria is a small coastal community that used to be known for is fishing industry. Today tourism is of primary importance, though the beaches are a little ways away from the city proper.
There are several National Wildlife Refuges thoughout the state. The ones I visit the most often are Baskett Slough and Finely, as they are close to where I live.
Oregon City is one of the historic centers in western Oregon, as it was considered to be the end of the Oregon Trail. However, only a few tourist attractions remain there.
- Pros:Diverse climates in various regions of the state. None of these climates or regions are ugly in and of themselves.
- Cons:Very fast growth in some places have led to horrible ugly tangles in cities that could have been much better..
- In a nutshell:Most people don't get past the Willamette Valley or the Coast. Get out and explore everything!
They call our coast the "Graveyard of the Pacific" for good reason. We have a long history of deadly shipwrecks on the... more travel advice
Quite a number of people write to the VirtualTourist forums asking about going from Seattle or Portland south to... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Oregon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregon is Home"
- "Oregon, the most beautiful state"
- "Oregon: A Treasure Often Overlooked"
- "Famous for Rain, but That's Only Part of the Story"
- "Welcome to Oregon State"
- "Oregon: End of the Frontier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oregon
- Hotels in Oregon
- Transportation in Oregon
- Nightlife in Oregon
- Restaurants in Oregon
- Shopping in Oregon
- Warnings and Dangers in Oregon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oregon
- 934 Reviews
- 4,348 Photos
- 251 Forum posts
- 116 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (251)
Have you been to Oregon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oregon
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Note To California from Texas"
- Uploaded a Photo to "They Call Us the Graveyard of the Pacific"
- Wrote a Review They Call Us the Graveyard of the Pacific in Oregon Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Oregon Travelogue "Oregon Amtrak Cascades Trains"
- Commented on one of beot's Oregon travel pages
Videos in OregonSee All Videos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 171 reviews, 881 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 160 reviews, 670 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 549 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 378 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 249 photos, 21 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 53 reviews, 197 photos, 4 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 6 travelogues