"Newest Narrow Gauge in South America" Parque Nacional del Iguazù by glabah
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide: 399 reviews and 1,166 photos
The falls are, of course, one of the best known tourist attractions in South America.
However, many others will have given photos and hints and tips about the falls.
As I am interested in railroad history, I will provide a few photos on the train system, however.
Several years ago, both the Argentine administration and the Brazilian administration decided that there were too many vehicles in the area around the park. The Brazilian government eliminated private vehicles from visiting the park and instead people ride double deck buses in the park.
In Argentina, rather than building roads for such a bus to travel on, they instead deciced to build a narrow gauge railway. This takes up considerably less space than the road on the Brazilian side of the falls, as well as providing less construction cost than a road.
But why is a train even necessary? The falls themselves have some 3 kilometers of actual "fall line". Getting from one end to the other is simply not what many tourists would consider a walking distance. Furthermore, there was some concerns about letting people wander around in the jungle.
So, the train (shown on this map as red lines) serves to move people around inside the park. On a busy day, however, I would suggest walking as a better alternative between the main parking lot and the first station. This is the busiest part of the line, the distance is quite short. To the furthest station, however, there is no choice but the train.
glabah's Related Pages
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iguazu Falls - The World's Most Spectacular!"
- "Falling Water . . ."
- "An amazing experience at Iguazu Falls"
- "The End of the Rainbow"
- "Finally to the Falls"
- "Devil's Throat - Garganta del Diablo"
- "Yguazù : Agua grande !!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Hotels in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Transportation in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Nightlife in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Restaurants in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Shopping in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Warnings and Dangers in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Parque Nacional del Iguazù?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "A New VT Milestone"
- Wrote a Review Trails at the Falls in Parque Nacional del Iguazù Things to Do
- Commented on one of sof76's Parque Nacional del Iguazù travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Newest Narrow Gauge in South America"
- updated a Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Page "Newest Narrow Gauge in South America"
Photos in Parque Nacional del IguazùSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 743 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 645 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 18 reviews, 196 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues