"Broad and Narrow Meet at Cruzeiro" Cruzeiro by glabah
Cruzeiro Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 11 photos
"Gauge" is the distance between the rails, from inside edge of running surface to inside edge of running surface.
Curzeiro used to be a place where the broad gauge (5 feet, 3 inches or 1.6 meters) railway network joined one of the meter gauge railways. However, over the years the meter gauge railway through the city fell into disuse. However, Brazil has only 1,500 miles of 5 ft 3 in lines, and some 19,000 miles of meter gauge lines. Therefore, the most useful of the two guages no longer serves this area. There is some talk of some companies wanting railway service again over the meter guage, but restoring service is going to be quite a task.
The two gauge crossing here is one of the few remnants of the once large meter gauge railway that served this region.
The broad gauge line through Cruzeiro is an important part of the railway system, however. It is the main line between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. Passenger trains were operated between these two cities up until 1998.
Here is an iron ore train operated by MRS Logistica passing through the station at Cruzeiro.
The main line through the city isn't that busy (unfortunately this should be obvious why: with only 1,500 miles of track in that gauge MRS Logistica can only reach a few places in Brasil).
The primary goal of the visit to Cruzeiro was to ride on the short distance of meter gauge railway that has been restored here by the local railway preservation group.
For more photos of this line, please see my Travelogue about this railway.
Two other interesting railway attractions are nearby: the EFCJ between Pindamonhangaba and Campos de Jorão, and the Trem das Aguas at São Lourenço in Minas Gerais.
glabah's Related Pages
Cruzeiro Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cruzeiro
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Cruzeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cruzeiro
Photos in CruzeiroSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 171 reviews, 881 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 160 reviews, 670 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 28 reviews, 522 photos, 51 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 241 photos, 20 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 192 photos, 6 travelogues