"City Closest to the Famous Iguaçu Waterfalls" Foz do Iguaçu by glabah
Foz do Iguaçu Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 637 photos
It should be understood that Foz do Iguaçu is the city that is closest to the famous waterfalls, and is not the name of the national park where the falls are located. Instead, the actual location of the falls is inside Iguaçu National Park (Parque Nacional do Iguaçu).
If you are interested in seeing my material related to the big, famous falls this is located in my Parque Nacional do Iguaçu page as that is the most appropriate place for that information.
This is important once you get to the city of Foz do Iguaçu: "As Cataratas" (the cataracts) is what you will see on the signs telling you the direction to the national park. The signs to Foz do Iguaçu tell you how to get to the downtown part of the city, as that is the name of the city. Upon arrival at the airport, you turn left on the main highway to get to the National Park, and turn right to get to the city.
There are two reasons people come to the city of Foz do Iguaçu: to visit Parque Nacional do Iguaçu and (for Brazilians) to visit Paraguay and purchase items (pirated goods or not) for much less than they would be able to do so in Brazil. Thus, the city has two very distinct types of visitors.
It is much cheaper to find a place to stay in Foz do Iguaçu than inside the national park.
Getting to the falls from the city is fairly easy: The city bus service that runs to the falls runs reasonably frequently and goes through a fair portion of the city before arriving at the entrance to the park.
It is also possible to drive to the park from the city. This is convenient as well, but except for certain circumstances private vehicles are not allowed inside the park. Therefore, either way you wind up having to take a national parks bus once you get past the entrance gate.
The city has a few other attractions, including the tour of the Itaipu Hydroelectric Dam, the Mark of the Three Frontiers, and The Bird Park.
- Pros:Gateway city to a great national park.
- Cons:Huge Tourist Traffic. Nearby Paraguay creates an environment in the city that is also focused on cheap junk and pirated goods.
- In a nutshell:Gateway City to Big international tourist attraction. Traffic generated involved good and bad elements of society.
A churrascaria is a Brazilian style restaurant where they bring out good quality meat in an all-you-can-eat fashion, and... more travel advice
Unfortunately this store falls into the standard tourist line: it is positioned to maximize the exposure to tourists,... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Foz do Iguaçu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iguacu: Big Water"
- "Doorway to the Falls"
- "Foz do Iguazu - Attractions All Around!"
- "Foz do Iguacu"
- "Gateway City to the best Waterfalls I've ever seen"
- "Defies description"
- "Gateway to Iguacu Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Foz do Iguaçu
- Hotels in Foz do Iguaçu
- Transportation in Foz do Iguaçu
- Nightlife in Foz do Iguaçu
- Restaurants in Foz do Iguaçu
- Shopping in Foz do Iguaçu
- Warnings and Dangers in Foz do Iguaçu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Foz do Iguaçu
- 11 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Foz do Iguaçu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Foz do Iguaçu
- Posted in Travel Randsburg Forum "Re: park"
- Wrote a Review Working Class Churrascaria in Foz do Iguaçu Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Working Class Churrascaria"
- updated a Foz do Iguaçu Travel Page "City Closest to the Famous Iguaçu Waterfalls"
- Commented on one of cachaseiro's Foz do Iguaçu travel pages
Photos in Foz do IguaçuSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 744 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 645 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 19 reviews, 198 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Latest Foz do Iguaçu hotel reviews
- Mercure Grand International Foz
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Iguassu Golf Resort
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Taroba Express Hotel
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hotel das Cataratas
- 688 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Bristol Dobly Viale Cataratas Hotel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Marica B&B
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Mabu Thermas and Resort
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Rafain Palace Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- San Martin Hotel and Resort
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Hotel Nadai
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Recanto Park Hotel
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Lanville Athenee
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2011
- Hotel Florenca
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Foz Presidente I Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 31, 2012
- Hotel 3 Fronteiras
- 1 Review & Opinion