"Once Famous for Coffee" Londrina by glabah
Londrina Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 109 photos
My primary involvement in Londrina has been with missionary agencies with headquarters there. I have worked with people from at least three different offices in this city: OMS International, which also has a seminary here, as well as the Africa Inland Mission (MIAFI in Portuguese) and during 2000 at least one office of YWAM (Youth With a Mission - JOCUM in Portuguese) was also located here.
The city was formed in the 1930s, when a huge immigration rush was on and many of the new farmers turned to growing coffee. Eventually, coffee became the symbol for Londrina.
However, today coffee is only one of many crops grown in the area, and the city has a number of small manufacturing facilities and other economic pieces that hold it together.
Londrina is not a major tourist destination. It is a commercial center. It does have several nice parks.
Lake Igapo Park is a narrow park along a lake on the south side of the city. (There are actually four Lake Igapos)
Arthur Thomas Park has lake space (there is a small lake there) but it is possible to rent pedal powered paddle boats for the lake. The forest area around the lake is apparently native forest habitat of the region.
The Zerao (huge zero) is a jogging path with a playground, basketball courts, and other sports related items in the center part of the track. Yes, of course (this IS Brazil) one of the items included is an area for Futebol (soccer).
- Pros:Most everything within walking distance in downtown. Nice size intermediate sized city.
- Cons:No really huge tourst attractions here. Growing crime problem.
- In a nutshell:No really huge tourst attractions here, but a number of smaller items could be of interest.
Lembranças is the word used in Brasilian Portuguese for small items that serve as a reminder of a place, and is derived... more travel advice
Generally, when a place is able to say they have been in a location for a long period, it is a good sign. Roberto's is... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Londrina Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Londrina
- Hotels in Londrina
- Transportation in Londrina
- Nightlife in Londrina
- Restaurants in Londrina
- Shopping in Londrina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Londrina
- 25 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (285)
Have you been to Londrina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Londrina
Photos in LondrinaSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 165 reviews, 768 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 696 photos, 72 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 46 reviews, 207 photos, 5 travelogues