"Regionally Famous Cathedral and Park" Maringá by glabah
Maringá Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 42 photos
Maringá is regionally famous for its cathedral, which is as high as any of the high rise buildings in the city.
There is also a large city center park which has a number of interesting items, including some regional history exhibits and some interesting wildlife.
The city serves as a regional commerce center for the surrounding farming area, and other than the cathedral and the park, there isn't a huge amount here that would be of interest to tourists.
Getting to the city from Sao Paulo is fairly easy, as there are several flights as well as intercity bus lines that come here. If you are traveling overland, it might be worthwhile to stay here for a time as a travel break between cities that have more for the tourist.
The photo at above, of the Maringá Cathedral, was taken from the breakfast restaurant at the Golden Inga hotel.
As you can tell from the photos, Maringá has a compact downtown, and pretty much everything of interest is within walking distance if you are located in the downtown core. The tall buildings downtown quickly fade into lower buildings, which quicly become countryside.
At one time there was an important warehouse district for loading agricultural products into railroad cars for shipment to the rest of the country, and for certain export crops such as coffee the rest of the world. However, much of that has been removed during urban renewal projects. Even so, today Maringá is an important commercial center for the surrounding farming communities.
The cathedral may be the most unique building in the Maringá sky line, but the city has an awful lot of stuff that you will find just about everywhere else, such as two large shopping centers with mostly clothing stores, and of course a certain large American fast food chain.
(The McDonalds, by the way, features several photographs of Maringá and the building of the cathedral, so it may be worth a stop here in order to see the photographs.)
- Pros:Smaller city that is a regional commercial center. Has a few nice large parks close to downtown and a unique cathederal.
- Cons:Other than the above mentioned items, there isn't that much in the way of tourist attractions.
- In a nutshell:Small city that may be worth a stop to take a look at some of the items here, but not worth a huge time investment.
To really appreciate Martignoni you first have to understand what a " rodizio" style pizza parlour is all about: "... more travel advice
NOTE CLOSURE: This park has been closed for renovation since approximately March of 2011. It is not clear to me if it... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Maringá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Regionally Famous Cathedral and Park"
- "My friend Alex and Dani's wedding"
- "Maringa, Town of Pioneers"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maringá
- 6 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (285)
Have you been to Maringá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maringá
Photos in MaringáSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 165 reviews, 768 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 720 photos, 75 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 46 reviews, 207 photos, 5 travelogues