"Beautiful, Famous Rio" Rio de Janeiro by glabah

Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,640 reviews and 6,560 photos

The most famous feature in Rio de Janeiro, and perhaps South America, is the statue of Christ the Redeemer, standing on top of the Corcovado mountain.

Therefore, naturally, the most popular tourist railway in Rio de Janeiro is the incline railway that climbs the steep hill up to the top.

If you look at my Must See Activities, you will see what everyone else goes to Rio to see. But why do only what everyone else does?

Rio de Janeiro has another tourist railway - or actually streetcar line, that isn't as well known, but tourists do come to see it, and it does have a tourist system of sorts. This is the old Bonde Santa Tereza - the Santa Tereza Streetcar.

Regular service on the line is every 15 minutes in many places. I have heard several things about tourist service on the line. I do not, therefore, know much about regularly scheduled tourist service, but apparently at one time it was offered. Chartering a car to a group is apparently also offered.

As Rio de Janeiro has so many other tourist attractions that people have documented, I concentrated on the Bonde in my first Rio de Janeiro Travelogue.

In the background of this photo, you can see Rio's world famous statue of Christ the Redeemer at the summit of Corcovado. It is certainly one of Rio de Janeiro's Must See features. I have some photos of a trip on the incline railway up to Corcovado here as well.

The Streetcar Shops

The streetcar shops cling to the side of a hill. Inside the shops is small museum of the streetcar lines, and one of the first cars used on the lines. There is also a gift shop where you can buy memorabilia of the line.

Spectacular Views

not normally seen by the regular tourist are available in a few locations along the streetcar line. That little white thing in the background in this photo, on top of the hill? It is the famous Christ statue on top of Corcovado.

For more photos of the streetcar line, please see my Travelogue of the Bonde Santa Tereza (bonde = streetcar in Portuguese).

• Pros:Beautiful city, unique features
  • Cons:It is a very dangerous city, and like any big city many people have an attitude problem.
  • In a nutshell:It is a nice place to visit, but my tastes for big cities makes me not want to visit for more than two days or so.
  • Last visit to Rio de Janeiro: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2004

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I enjoyed your page. Rio is a place I'd like to visit sooner rather than later!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Hi Glenn..This trip brings back so many memories..so good to see. I lost all my photos from here..Thanks ..the photos transport instant memories..

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I've taken a journey on that tram line too! My dad is tramway fan. I must have in me too.

• GinGinCoo's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2004 at 10:17 PM

Nice Rio pages, good job! - Jean

glabah

“Do something every day that scares you - even if just a little bit.”

Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?