"Beautiful, Famous Rio" Rio de Janeiro by glabah
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,631 reviews and 6,549 photos
The most famous feature in Rio de Janeiro, and perhaps South America, is the statue of Christ the Redeemer, standing on top of the Corcovado mountain.
Therefore, naturally, the most popular tourist railway in Rio de Janeiro is the incline railway that climbs the steep hill up to the top.
If you look at my Must See Activities, you will see what everyone else goes to Rio to see. But why do only what everyone else does?
Rio de Janeiro has another tourist railway - or actually streetcar line, that isn't as well known, but tourists do come to see it, and it does have a tourist system of sorts. This is the old Bonde Santa Tereza - the Santa Tereza Streetcar.
Regular service on the line is every 15 minutes in many places. I have heard several things about tourist service on the line. I do not, therefore, know much about regularly scheduled tourist service, but apparently at one time it was offered. Chartering a car to a group is apparently also offered.
As Rio de Janeiro has so many other tourist attractions that people have documented, I concentrated on the Bonde in my first Rio de Janeiro Travelogue.
In the background of this photo, you can see Rio's world famous statue of Christ the Redeemer at the summit of Corcovado. It is certainly one of Rio de Janeiro's Must See features. I have some photos of a trip on the incline railway up to Corcovado here as well.
The streetcar shops cling to the side of a hill. Inside the shops is small museum of the streetcar lines, and one of the first cars used on the lines. There is also a gift shop where you can buy memorabilia of the line.
not normally seen by the regular tourist are available in a few locations along the streetcar line. That little white thing in the background in this photo, on top of the hill? It is the famous Christ statue on top of Corcovado.
For more photos of the streetcar line, please see my Travelogue of the Bonde Santa Tereza (bonde = streetcar in Portuguese).
- Pros:Beautiful city, unique features
- Cons:It is a very dangerous city, and like any big city many people have an attitude problem.
- In a nutshell:It is a nice place to visit, but my tastes for big cities makes me not want to visit for more than two days or so.
Everything I said above is doubly true during Carnaval. People come from all over the world to visit Rio de Janeiro... more travel advice
If you go to Corcovado, and you want the best photo of the Christ, be sure to visit in the morning. If you go in the... more travel advice
Written Apr 14, 2004
Rio de Janeiro by Streetcar
Written Jun 1, 2004
A Trip up Corcovado by Train
glabah's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 12 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
Photos in Rio de JaneiroSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 162 reviews, 791 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 360 photos, 32 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue