"Tiradentes - "Takes Teeth"" Top 5 Page for this destination Tiradentes by glabah
Tiradentes Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 162 photos
The name "Tiradentes" literally means "Takes Teeth" or "A taker of teeth" - a dentist in early years. There was a dentist that figured prominently in the agreement giving Brasil independence, and naturally there are many things named in honor of this man.
The 6 remaining miles of railroad between Sao Joao del Rei and Tiradentes draws many tourists. Naturally, there are all manner of tourist trap like things that are drawn to the train station in Tiradentes. However, I recommend at least taking a look around. There are horse drawn carts with rubber tires available for a quick trip to locations in the town. There are a few junk food stands near the train station as well.
For more photos and information on this location, please see my Travelogue for the area around Tiradentes, as well as the Travelogue on the narrow gauge station in Sao Joao del Rei.
glabah's Related Pages
Tiradentes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magic quality of the past"
- "Tiradentes - MG"
- "Small Town, Big History"
- "Tiradentes - "Takes Teeth""
- "Were the Inconfidencia was born"
- "Carnival in Tiradentes!!!"
- "Historical "Tiradentes""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tiradentes
- Hotels in Tiradentes
- Transportation in Tiradentes
- Nightlife in Tiradentes
- Restaurants in Tiradentes
- Shopping in Tiradentes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tiradentes
- 1 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Tiradentes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiradentes
Photos in TiradentesSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 161 reviews, 790 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 352 photos, 31 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 214 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue