San Francisco Things to Do Tips by SFHulaGIrl
San Francisco Things to Do: 3,267 reviews and 5,850 photos
The relatively new Ferry Building houses a decent selection of restaurants (Slanted Door, Marketbar, Taylor's Refresher), deli-type places (Mastrelli's, Le Mistral) and specialty stores (Sur La Table, Cowgirl Creamery, Acme Bread Company, Hog Island Oyster Company, Recchiuti Confections, Tsar Nicolai Caviar, etc.) to satisfy anyone's culinary cravings.
Address: Ferry Building Marketplace; One Ferry Building; SF
Directions: On the Embarcadero
Phone: (415) 693-0996
For a truly unique and inspirational experience, attend the Gospel Mass at Glide Memorial United Methodist Church. You can't help but be moved by the sheer joy of the congregation and the choirs. Throughout the service, you will hold hands and embrace other members of the congregation. The choir and its soloists are truly amazing! Masses are held every Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., and again from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. It's recommended that you arrive at least 30 minutes before the service, as it's generally filled to capacity. Everyone is welcome. Cameras and videos are allowed.
Address: 330 Ellis Street (@ Taylor); San Francisco, CA
Phone: (415) 674-6000
Coit Tower is a memorial to San Francisco's volunteer firefighters. This 180-foot cylindrical tower, named after Lillian Hitchcock-Coit (philanthropist & admirer of San Francisco's firefighters), was completed in 1933. Its design is reminiscent of a fire hose nozzle.
Address: 1 Telegraph Hill Blvd
Phone: (415) 362- 0808
The Peace Pagoda
Japantown, bordered by Fillmore Street, Geary Boulevard, Laguna Street, and Bush Street, is home to approximately 12,000 residents. Its Peace Plaza is dominated by a three-story white pagoda. The AMC Kabuki 8 theater complex hosts the Asian-American Film Festival, as well as the San Francisco International Film Festival. If you're hungry, Mifune is famous for their noodles, Kushi Tsuru has excellent bento box lunches, and Denny's serves a Hawaiian breakfast! Of course, Japantown wouldn't be complete without the quintessential Benihana! Soko Hardware Store has great Japanese lanterns and housewares, and Kinokuniya is a phenomenal bookstore.
Directions: Just north of Geary and south of Sutter, between Laguna and Fillmore.
Though Pier 39 is full of touristy shops and restaurants, the sea lions are also a big draw!!
Address: The Embarcadero at Beach Street
Directions: Fishermens Wharf
Phone: (415) 705-5500
Posing in Front of the Buddha
Address: Located in Golden Gate Park
The Japanese Tea Garden is located in Golden Gate Park. You can actually have tea there, too -- for a nominal fee, of course, in addition to the other nominal entrance fee!!
Address: Located in Golden Gate Park
Directions: Golden Gate Park
Chinatown is a great place for shopping (inexpensively) -- chopsticks, Chinese shoes, incense, linens, etc.
Address: Bordered by Broadway, Bush, Kearny, Stockton sts.
Directions: Ornamental gate at Grant and Bush intersection.
Originally created for the World's Fair, this is a cool way to spend the afternoon -- visiting the Exploratorium inside and the surrounding Marina area. Concerts are also frequently held here.
Address: 3601 Lyon Street
Directions: (415) 561-0360
Phone: (415) 561-0360
More Reviews (106)
SFHulaGIrl's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 115 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 99 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Wrote a Review DSLR Camera Accessories about Electronics / Music / Toys in San Francisco Shopping
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Super Shuttle at CDG"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The BEST Italian-Style Pizza in San Francisco!"
- updated a San Francisco Travelogue "Miscellaneous Photos of Friends"
- Commented on one of davequ's San Francisco travel pages
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 115 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 40 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ubud Intro, 37 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 44 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 23 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Savannah Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
- Lombard Street- 132 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Alcatraz- 291 Reviews, 488 Photos
- Chinatown- 178 Reviews, 309 Photos
- Golden Gate Bridge- 249 Reviews, 399 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 177 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Golden Gate Park- 118 Reviews, 244 Photos
- Coit Tower- 133 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Pier 39- 118 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Muir Woods- 36 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do