"Civita di Bagnoregio" Bagnoregio by SFHulaGIrl

Bagnoregio Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 76 photos

A Walk in the Clouds

"It was a dark and stormy night..." Isn't that what Linus or Snoopy is always typing on their typewriter on "The Peanuts?" In actuality, it was an overcast and rainy afternoon as we drove to Bagnoregio. For some reason, I hadn't expected rain and was outfitted in a sundress with wedge shoes. Luckily, he had an extra umbrella. Even though it was raining, it wasn't cold enough for me to require any type of jacket -- which I hadn't brought along, anyway! As we exited the car in Bagnoregio, I thought that that was it. Yet he kept mentioning something about the Civita, which I had no idea about. We walked through Bagnoregio until we spied the long, narrow walkway/bridge leading to the Civita, which appears to cling to the top of a cliff. Due to the rain and fog, it was difficult for me to see much of anything at first. Then the clouds parted and the fog lifted enough for me to see it in the distance.

"We're Walking Over There?!"

That's what I asked him, as the rain continued to fall steadily and I looked down at my wedge shoes. I didn't mind the walk, but warned him that it would be a slow process for me wearing those particular shoes. At least, they had rubber soles to help prevent me from slipping and sliding all over the place. To be honest, the walk wasn't half bad. It's just difficult to take photos holding on to a purse and an umbrella, fumbling for your camera and wondering if there was any chance that you might fall to your death all at the same time.

We looked at the church, where a gentleman seemed to be laying flowers down to decorate the floor. We also looked in the well, and sampled olive oils and charcuterie. Other than that, we simply walked around and took it all in. It's a charming and quiet little town. I saw few people, mostly priests. It must be truly lovely in the spring.

• Last visit to Bagnoregio: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2008

• effeti's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Sorry for your rainy day.. I was much more lucky! Interesting page anyway Ciao Francesco

SFHulaGIrl

“It's the anticipation that makes the pleasure.”

Badges & Stats in Bagnoregio

Have you been to Bagnoregio?

Latest Activity in Bagnoregio