"A Village Lost in Time" Tenganan by SFHulaGIrl

Tenganan Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 21 photos

Tenganan is a village inhabited by the Bali Aga, the "original" or aboriginal Balinese who settled the island before the Majahapit Empire. These people hold tight to their native ways & believe they are descended from the gods. Until recently, those who married outside the village were banished from the inner compound. Rites such as tooth filing are still practiced. My tour guide, Nyoman, told me that these days the government provides each family with two pigs. Once they reproduce, they are to be shared with others in the community.

I happened to hire a driver that day to take me to a few other places prior to Tenganan. When he parked, a village member (in my case, Nyoman) met me in the parking area. I was then asked to sign the village guest book & make a donation, in whatever amount I wished. The donations seemed mostly to range from Rp. 7000 to 50,000. Nyoman then took me on a tour of the village, explaining things all along the way. At the end of the tour, he led me back to his house to show me the products which his family had for sale. These included beautiful textiles woven by his daughter, as well as lontar books/calendars & basketry. Prices are negotiable, & they will even offer to deliver products to your hotel, if need be.

Tenganan is noted for its production of geringsing, a black & white woven cloth that is reputed to drive away black magic.

• Last visit to Tenganan: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2007

SFHulaGIrl

“It's the anticipation that makes the pleasure.”

Badges & Stats in Tenganan

Have you been to Tenganan?

Latest Activity in Tenganan