"Ubud - Center of Arts" Top 5 Page for this destination Ubud by SFHulaGIrl

Ubud Travel Guide: 522 reviews and 1,322 photos

Spiritual Healing

Remember that song that said something about "I've never been to me..."? I've been to me. I found "myself" in Ubud.

Bali healed something in me. Yet it was Ubud that really gave me inner peace. I would arise when darknesss still veiled the flora & fauna. Sitting on the porch of my bungalow in my sarong & listening to the cacophony of the frogs, roosters, ducks, crickets, locusts & everything else relaxed me. Then when the dawn began to creep in, the scent of incense would assail my nostrils & I would walk amongst the flower-strewn pathways. I couldn't want for anything more.

Dancing & Shopping

I was mesmerized by the dance performances in Ubud, most of which I witnessed at the Ubud Palace. My favorites are the legong & the kebyar. The dances are so expressive, with exaggerated movements and flashing eyes. The colorful costumes are beautiful as well. Even though the sound of the gamelan originally sounded like dissonance, it didn't take long for me to fall under its spell. As a matter of fact, I bought two CDs of gamelan music before departing Bali. Now when I'm feeling a little stressed in San Francisco, I put one of those CDs on and am immediately whisked back to the serenity of Ubud.

I was equally impressed by the shopping in and around Ubud. On my first trip, I bought the wayang kulit (shadow puppets), wooden Balinese "angels," beaded slippers, a legong headdress, among other things. My second trip I bought mostly dresses (the silk dresses are great value) and unique jewelry.

The Nature of the Balinese

It was completely safe for me to travel around Bali as a single woman. Though there are no official taxis in Ubud, there was never any problem hiring transportation. Everyone made me feel comfortable and at ease.

I had hired Ari and his friend to take me to a restaurant for dinner one evening. When I was in the car, they put on some music. It happened to be a particular song that I'd heard being played all over Ubud. When I asked Ari about it, he took me to Ubud Music where he hummed the song to the clerks; it was an instrumental one, by the way. They located the CD, then played it for me to make sure that it was the correct one. Once I affirmed that, Ari promptly took it to the register and paid for it. My attempts to dissuade him from paying were futile; he said that it was a gift from him because he wanted me to "always remember Bali."

• Pros:Traditional dance performances, handicrafts, museums
  • Cons:Mosquitoes!
  • In a nutshell:A Place to Immerse Yourself in Balinese Culture
  • Last visit to Ubud: May 2011
  • Intro Updated May 28, 2011

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM

i love Baliness massage and spas adn beauty centers!!!!!

• davequ's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Wow, looks like an amazing place. I hope I get to go to Bali someday. Great pix & tips, thanks for sharing.

SFHulaGIrl Visits Here Frequently!

SFHulaGIrl

“It's the anticipation that makes the pleasure.”

Badges & Stats in Ubud