"Largest Buddhist Temple in South East Asia" Borobudur by bkarjee
Borobudur Travel Guide: 190 reviews and 651 photos
The Buddhist temple of Borobudur are located in the Borobudur town, which is located 42 KMs north east of Yogyakarta. It is a part of Central Java province (not Yogyakarta Province) but is conveniently visited from Yogyakarta. These temples were built by King Wisnu (also known as Dharmatunga) of the Sailendra Dynasty between 770- 825 A.D. When the construction was completed in 825 A.D., King Samartunga was the king and his empire extended from Cambodia to Malaysia and Sumatra, Java. The temple was made of volcanic stones which were fetched from the frozen lava stones coming out of eruptions of mount Merapi, with the help of elephants and huge efforts were put in to construct the temples. The temple is a perfect symmetrical structure which looks square in shape at the bottom layers when viewed from the top. The top layers progressively becomes smaller in size and are circular, with 72 stupas. These stupas house the Buddha statue.
Direct public buses from the Umbulharjo bus terminal in south of Yogyakarta city are available from 6 in the morning till 7 in the evening. They charge around IDR 7.5K per person and take roughly 90 minutes to cover the distance. They drop the passengers at Borobudur bus station which is around 500 metres from the main temple.
Daily coach tours are also available from Jogja (Yogyakarta). The hotel where you are staying in Jogja can definitely arrange one for you. This package is popularly called Borobudur Sunrise package and takes around 5 hrs. They will pick you up from your hotel at 0500 hrs and drop you back at around 10 hrs. The charge is around IDR 50 K per person. Early morning is the best time to enjoy Borobudur temple and you get roughly 3 hrs to spend in the temple complex. The entry charge for foreigners is USD 10 per person and this includes entry fee for the museum loocated in the premises. The temple gate opens at 0600 hrs and closes at 1900 hrs . A visit to two other temples (Mendut and Pawon temples) in Borobudur village is also included in the package.
I hired a MPV which took me to Borobudur and Permbanan and all other smaller temples around these two places. The MPV was a 7-seater Mitsubishi Grandis and came with a driver. The tour was completed in 10 hrs and I paid IDR 400 K for this tour. So I had the whole vehicle to myself and hence the tour was very relaxed. The driver was also very good.
There are two other temples (these are also Buddhist temples) in Borobudur and they are
1. Pawon Temple
2. Mendut Temple.
When you are coming from Jogja, you will be passing by the Mendut temple first.
These two temples are located within 2 KM radius of the Borobudur temple but can be covered in few minutes.
- Pros:one of the most visited monuments in Indonesia
- Cons:Beware of aggressive salepersons
- In a nutshell:Incredible architecture and detailed reliefs
Mendut Temple is another temple, much bigger then Pawon temple and is located on the road to Yogyakarta. In fact if you... more travel advice
bkarjee's Related Pages
Borobudur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under Contruction - Raffles' Other Discovery"
- "Borobudur, lost in time"
- "IMPREXXION: YOGYAKARTA-BOROBUDOR-PRAMBANAN"
- "Central Java - Borobudur"
- "Magical Borobudur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borobudur
- Hotels in Borobudur
- Transportation in Borobudur
- Nightlife in Borobudur
- Restaurants in Borobudur
- Shopping in Borobudur
- Warnings and Dangers in Borobudur
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brooklyn Hotels
- Honolulu Hotels
- Cebu City Hotels
- Cook Forest State Park Hotels
- Manali Hotels
- Mill Run (Fallingwater) Hotels
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Ghana Hotels
- Montego Bay Hotels
- Miri Hotels
- Plum Island Hotels
- Varanasi Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Oued Laou Hotels
- Laoag City
Badges & Stats in Borobudur
- 17 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Borobudur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borobudur
Photos in BorobudurSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Bintan Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 34 reviews, 43 photos
- Sydney Intro, 27 reviews, 42 photos
- Borobudur Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos
- Phuket Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tangkak Intro, 5 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues