"Largest Hindu Temple complex in South East Asia" Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan by bkarjee
Prambanan Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 421 photos
Prambanan village is located around 17 KM from Jogja on Jogja-Solo Highway. Prambanan can be a good destination for those who are interested in the history of Java and visiting the temples in and around Prambanan. Prambanan is out of the the city limits of Yogya or Jogja city but can be crowded during the weekends and during the holiday seasons. The Hindu Temples of Prambanan are living examples of the Hindu Dynasty rule in Java till around 500 years back. These temples were built in 10th century A.D . by the Sanjaya dynasty and is almost a contemprory of the Buddhists temples of Borobudur. The name of the village in which these temples are located is called Prambanan and hence thwe temples are also called Prambanan temples.
A lot of temples in and around Prambanan have been influenced by both Hindu and Buddhists religions. Hence within the same temple, you will find Stupas like structures and Bodhisattavas (typical of Buddhist temples), and at the same time Shivalingas in the centre of the temple. I was told by my guide and even the Lonely Planet mentions that at one time, Buddhists Sailendra Dynasty (responsible for construction of Borobudur temple) were ruling in the west and the Hindu Sanjaya dynasty of the Mataram empire were ruling in the east. The princess of the Sailendra Dynasty was married to the preince of Mataram Kingdom and this is the reason for Hindu and Buddhist influence in a lot of these temples.
The Temples can be easily reached by public buses from the main Jogja Bus terminal. They charge less then IDR 4K and will take 45 minutes to cover the distance.
I had hired an MPV from a local travel agency (Kresna Travel Agency-Jogja) with driver for the whole day to see Borobudur and Prambanan temples. In the first half of the day, I covered the Borobudur temple and after lunch, I covered the Prambanan temples and the surrounding temples. It was very convenient for a person like me who had just 2 days to explore this region. I paid IDR 400K for the whole day. The MPV came along with a English speaking driver, who was familiar with the location of all the temples around Borobudur and Prambanan. The driver whose name was Wisnu was a very knowlegable person and was a thorough gentleman. I would recommend this person for local sightseeing tours. He is employed with Kresna Travels Agency located in PRAVIROTAMAN area of Jogja city.
The entrance fees for Borobudur and Prambanan is US 10 Dollors each, but Kresna Travel agency arranged the same tickets for IDR 85 K each (US Dollor 8.5 each), which was quite a good bargain. The temple gate open at 0600 hrs and closes at 2100 hrs. Between the months of May and October (when it is not raining) Ramayana Ballet is performed in the outdoor theatre within the Prambanan Temple complex. I missed this show, as I was there in the month of Dec'05.
For those who are interested in indoor Ramaya\n Ballet, they can see the same at Trimurti Theatre at Prambanan theatre complex on Tuesdays and Thursdays of Nov-Apr months. The show time is fron 1930 hrs and is for 2 hours. Your hotel travel desk or the Hotel receptiopn can arrange this.
- Pros:A must visit for History enthusiasts
- Cons:The smaller temples have not been maintained well
- In a nutshell:Experience the rich past and culture of Java-Indonesia. Dont miss it.
This was my last temple for the day, hence I decided to spare more time for this monument. Kalasan temple is located... more travel advice
Wherever you go in Java plains, the climatic conditions are very warm and harsh all throughout the year and under such... more travel advice
bkarjee's Related Pages
Prambanan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prambanan: temples and more temples"
- "Hindu temple complex"
- "IMPREXXION: YOGYAKARTA-BOROBUDOR-PRAMBANAN"
- "Largest Hindu Temple complex in South East Asia"
- "Under Construction"
- "PRAMBANAN- East of Yogyakarta"
- "Indonesia´s largest Hindu temple."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prambanan
- Hotels in Prambanan
- Transportation in Prambanan
- Restaurants in Prambanan
- Shopping in Prambanan
- Warnings and Dangers in Prambanan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prambanan
- 11 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Prambanan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prambanan
- updated a Prambanan Travel Page "Largest Hindu Temple complex in South East Asia"
- Posted in Travel Singapore Forum "Re: Singapore To Langkawi"
- Wrote a Review Archeological museum in Prambanan Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Candi Banyunibo or Banyunibo temple"
- Commented on one of xuessium's Prambanan travel pages
Photos in PrambananSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Bintan Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 34 reviews, 43 photos
- Sydney Intro, 27 reviews, 42 photos
- Borobudur Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos
- Phuket Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tangkak Intro, 5 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues