"Wonosobo-Gateway to Dieng Plateau" Wonosobo by bkarjee
Wonosobo Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 102 photos
Wonosobo is a small town of around 40-50 K population. Doesnt look like a hill town, but can serve as a base for people planning to visit Dieng Plateau during the day time and come back in the evening.
It is located at an altitude of 900 metres and the climate is very good. Not so warm, not so cold either. Just comfortable.
Dieng Plateau is around 27 KM from wonosobo and the ride from Wonosobo to Dieng Plateau is breathtaking. The landscape is very good. One can clearly see the change in topography, climate and the cultivation. As you proceed to Dieng Plateau, you will find more of Potato and cabbage/cauliflower cultivation and less of paddy fields. It is a gradual climb after Wonosobo and as you travel further, you will feel the air getting cooler and cooler. It is a welcome relief from the uncomortable warm temperaures of the plains. Wonosobo has some good hotels to stay if you want to make this place as a base to visit Dieng Plateau. One of them is Hotel Gallery Kresna.
The city as such is very small and doesnt have much to offer to tourists. Going by the standards of small town, the market and road conditions are pretty good. We decided not to stop here as I was in a hurry to reach Dieng Village as soon as possible. I was told by the guide that its best to enjoy the ride between Wonosobo and Dieng in the morning hours. It was already 10 O clock in the morning and I didnt want to delay any further, otherwise the clouds would have spoilt the mood of the ride. The clouds in this part of the country is very thick during the wet season and its best to avoid it. Normally after 12 noon, the clouds start building up. The ride from Jogja to Wonosobo by car is roughly three hours and it would take another 40 minutes to reach Dieng Village from here.
The villagers of Dieng come to Wonosobo for buying the necessities. It is a typical countryside market place where the life starts early in the morning and ends pretty early too. By 1800-1900 hrs, the streets are deserted and the temperature gets cooler.
- Pros:Nothing much to write about this place
- In a nutshell:Good transit place
In Indonesia, everywhere you find a statue of Garuda-the mighty eagle, very closely associated with Indonesian history... more travel advice
We came across this viewpoint along the Wonosobo -Dieng Village road. It is half way between the two places and offers... more travel advice
bkarjee's Related Pages
Wonosobo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lengger Dance at Anggrunggondok"
- "The Last Major Town before Dieng"
- "Wonosobo-Gateway to Dieng Plateau"
- "Wonosobo - Transit Before Dieng Plateau"
- "KLEDUNG PASS, the jewel of WONOSOBO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wonosobo
- Hotels in Wonosobo
- Transportation in Wonosobo
- Restaurants in Wonosobo
- Shopping in Wonosobo
- Warnings and Dangers in Wonosobo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wonosobo
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Wonosobo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wonosobo
Photos in WonosoboSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Bintan Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 34 reviews, 43 photos
- Sydney Intro, 27 reviews, 42 photos
- Borobudur Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos
- Phuket Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tangkak Intro, 5 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Wonosobo hotel reviews
- Gallery Hotel Kresna Wonosobo
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013