"Fribourg welcomes you!" Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg by amsterdam_vallon
Fribourg Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 310 photos
Here's a brief history of the city.
Bertold IV of Zahringen founded Fribourg in 1157 as part of his consolidation of regional power, which also saw the establishment of Bern, Burgdorf, Thun and Murten, as well as Freiburg-im-Breisgau northeast of Basel in Germany. After 1218, the Zahringens were succeeded by the Counts of Kyburg, who were themselves bought out by the Austrian Habsburgs in 1277, Fribourg passing from hand to hand with each succession. In 1452, Savoy took over, although in the Burgundian Wars shortly afterwards Fribourg backed the victorious Swiss against Savoy, and so became a free city. In 1481, it joined the Swiss Confederation.
For reasons which havenýt been fully explained, Fribourg remained Catholic throughout the Reformation (and is still determinedly Catholic today): virtually surrounded by Protestant Bern, it became a place of refuge for the exiled bishops of Geneva and Lausanne. The oligarchic ruling families retained their grip on power even throughout the 1798 upheavals, and in 1846 Fribourg joined the reactionary Sonderbund, fighting against Protestant liberalism all around. It lost, and suffered expulsion of its Jesuits as revenge. Intolerance was short-lived, though: Jews were allowed to return to Fribourg in 1866 after almost 400 years of banishment from the city, and a local entrepreneur, Georges Python, founded the Catholic university in 1889. Fribourg stagnated for much of the twentieth century, stymied by economic depression, but the boom of the last third of the century has brought new wealth and energy to the city.
- The Fribourg's neighborhoods
- The St-Nicholas Cathedral
- The Jean Tinguely fountain
- The Berne Bridge
- The St. John's Bridge
- The Cats' Tower
- The Funicular
All those " star sights " will be explain in the " must see activities ".
The Fountain of Bravery is located beside the St. Nicholas Cathedral choir. The bearded man in armour symbolizes... more travel advice
CHURCHES & CONVENTS : - The Franciscan monastery , built in 1256, has a medieval interior of very high standing. Don't... more travel advice
amsterdam_vallon's Related Pages
Fribourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Old City..."
- "an interesting town south-west of Bern"
- "Fribourg - a hidden treasure"
- "The Studious City"
- "Fribourg welcomes you!"
- "From Bern to Fribourg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fribourg
- Hotels in Fribourg
- Transportation in Fribourg
- Nightlife in Fribourg
- Restaurants in Fribourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fribourg
- 30 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Fribourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fribourg
Photos in FribourgSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 75 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olympia Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Gallen Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Essaouira Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues